Yeast blending

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petesgalaxy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking at making a Saison, and adding two yeasts, a saison yeast and a champagne yeast to finish it off. My question is, can i blend them together on the stir plate and add them at the start, or add one then the other toward the end ? Thanks

That depends on what you're looking to achieve. Some saison yeasts will "finish it off" quite well. I've brewed quite a few that ended up 1.000-1.004. Are you making a very high gravity saison?

I'm not an expert by any means, but my opinion would be to add the champagne yeast later. Saison yeasts have a lot of character, and having both fermenting at the same time would (I think) lead to diminishing the saison character a bit. That said, it's your brew, so if you really want to try it, go for it!

Whatever your goal, definitely wait on the champagne yeast. The two that I am aware of (EC1118 and K1116) emit a protein that inhibits the growth of other yeast strains, so you would lose the saison character. Beyond this, like lowtones, my saisons have all finished in the 1.002-1.005 range.

I don't see the need for the champagne yeast. Most saison yeasts will finish very low on their own. Well into the 1.000-1.004 range like lowtone mentions. I can't see the campagne yeast doing anything moe when the brews finish that low just using the saison yeast.

The three that I use on a regular basis all finish in that range. Hell I think 3711 will ferment the spoon if you take too long stirring it in. Belle Saison is also a beast like 3711 and always finishes very low for me.. 3724 will also finish low but requires some good temperature control to do it.

The idea of blending yeasts can work well. I do a tripel using 1214 and 3787, that comes out great.

Thanks for the input. I was just curios about champagne yeast. I'll ditch it from the recipe, sounds like I don't need it. This is not a high grav. beer. Just a standard saison.

Doesn't champagne yeast only consume glucose and sucrose? No complex sugars can be processed by them.

Back