Yeast at room temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjking77

Reaction score
I ordered two extract kits from Austin Homebrew Supply on Sunday the 22nd as a part of their 50 state sale. My order took a little longer to be processed because of the sale so it didn't get shipped out until late Thursday/early Friday. As a result my shippment sat in Knoxville a good chunk of the weekend and didn't arrive to me until today.

Anyway, so my question has to do with my liquid yeast viles. They did ship with two ice packs, but when I opened the box today both viles were at room temperature. I put them in the fridge, but I am wondering if they will still be ok.

I know that I can make a starter to be sure, but I am wondering (from any past experience) if you think they will be ok to use as is. Thanks.

You should get in the habit of making starters with all of your liquid yeast regardless. The WL vials and WY packets don't contain enough of our friends to ferment all but the lowest OG beers. Even then I've learned that it's good to know that I have a viable culture.

Back