yeast amount for small batch beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abweatherley

Reaction score
Is there any issues using a full package of DRY yeast in a 1 gallon fermentation. Us-05 specifically.

I have a scottish 70-/ heavy recipe that I converted from 5 gallons to 1 gallon.

Apart from possible blow off, is there any downsides to just pitching the whole sachet.

Doesn't seem to be any manufacturers who Make yeast for smaller batches.

Dry yeast packets contain 11 grams. 11/5=2.2 grams. That’s all you really need for a 1 gal batch. If you have a gram scale (one of those little, $20, pocket sized “drug dealer” scales works fine) you can measure the necessary amount, then seal the packet back up and save the rest for later.

I've been using US-05 in my last four 1 gallon batches. I just measure out the proper amount based on my FG OG using the calculator here or other sites.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/
Then I take a piece of shipping tape and seal it back up after I've flattened and pushed as much of the air out of the packet as I can. Then it goes back in fridge with my other dry yeasts.

You won't have any issues with storage of it. Unless perhaps you were outside in a rain storm when you opened it and sealed it back.

edit... really? nobody noticed I mistakenly put FG in the first paragraph and wanted to rag me about that. You guys are too nice!

Last edited:
Is there any issues using a full package of DRY yeast in a 1 gallon fermentation. Us-05 specifically.

I have a scottish 70-/ heavy recipe that I converted from 5 gallons to 1 gallon.

Apart from possible blow off, is there any downsides to just pitching the whole sachet.

Haven't read about any downsides to pitching more yeast. If anyone has experience or info about this, I'd love to hear it. I just pitched a whole yeast packet for a 2.5 gallon batch. The SafLager W 34/70 allows for that in the pitching rate specs, so check yours and see what it says.

Muntons comes in 6 gram packs. It's an underappreciated yeast.

When I make 1 and 2 gallon batches I pitch a whole package of dry yeast. It's just not worth it trying to measure out just enough and then figuring out how to save the remainder.

For batches in the 12-pack range, for me, I find that pitching roughly 1/4 of the package is a good balance of pitch rate (for most dry strains), performance, cost, and inventory management.

At that O.G. a "proper" pitch would be 1/2 the sachet (assuming 10B cells/g). I pitched a full pack on US-05 in a gallon batch with a lower O.G. without any issues.

The main issue I have with using a whole sachet for a gallon batch is the cost. Now I primarily use slurry on my gallon batches saved from my 5 gallon batches that I pitched fresh yeast into.

Muntons comes in 6 gram packs. It's an underappreciated yeast.
This is exactly what I use for my 1 gallon experimental batches. It works just fine. No splitting of the packet and only $1.59 a packet. For some reason this yeast gets a bad rap. It's really not bad at all.

DMF

I always advise people not to save yeast because underpitching is one of the most common causes of poor fermentation health on a homebrew level. When you start using pitch calculators (such as Yeast Pitch Rate and Starter Calculator - Brewer's Friend ) and estimating 10 billion active cels per gram of dry yeast, you start to realise a 11g package is rarely enough for 20L batches.

Also, never trust rules which don't take the wort OG into account when determining the pitch rate.

It's really up to the brewer to control fermentation as he or she sees fit. Pitching rate is a driving factor. Some will claim it's too slow. Some will claim it's too fast. A typical fermentation doesn't take much more than a few days and you can't over pitch healthy yeast.

Back