Yeast Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plepper

Reaction score
So my beer froze while being cold crashed (long story) I have slowly thawed it and wanting to bottle now. Do I need to add yeast to carb it? I fermented it with SO5 and have more but have no idea how to proceed. Would I add a whole packet maybe mixed with the sugar or rack onto the yeast a few days before bottling. Maybe just put a carb drop in a plastic bottle and rack some in it and see what happens? Any insight would be great.

I have been keeping a real close eye on mine it's in my garage and hit 33.5 degrees today from 36 a few days ago, it is suppose to keep getting colder in the next week so I may bottle a week early to avoid the chance of freezing, I don't think you would add a whole pack of yeast but if you did fill a plastic bottle prime it and leave it for a few days to see if the yeast will eat the sugars to create co2 it would be a good experiment to see if the yeast will be completely killed off after being frozen, how long was it frozen for?

about 2 days and im not sure but I don't think it was frozen solid. Im going to rack to secondary to get it off the lees and will try the plastic bottle and carb drop and see what happens.

There's is a possibility it will carb up just fine all you need is some yeast so if a plastic bottle with a carb drop doesn't show anything after a few days I would add something like 1/4 pack of yeast to It and bottle as normal

OK I tried the plastic bottle thing and it doesn't seem to be working, so I think I'll have to add some yeast. Not to sure how to do it though, does boiling my water and adding the sugar then letting it cool down then rehydrating some (1/4 packet) SO5 into the mixture and adding into the wort, then gently stirring sound like it'll work?

Sounds like it should work to me I've never added more yeast, I actually have a batch that was left for 6 weeks of secondary and I bottled it a few plastics and I have no activity but it's only 55degrees down in the basement going to throw a heater in the closet to bring the temp up to about 70-75 and if that doesn't work I'll be doing exactly what your about to and adding more yeast now my beer is already primed so I'll just be putting it back into the bottling bucket to mix yeast in and I have a pack of coopers yeast to use but I'll probably weigh out 1.5 grams of yeast vs guessing a 1/4 pack or whichever

I've done this when I had a lager that I kept near freezing a long time.

It's easy! Just boil up your priming sugar like usual, and let it cool. Pour it into your bottling bucket, and sprinkle in about 1/3 package of the S05 dry yeast. Let that sit a few minutes, and stir it up a bit. Then just rack the beer into it, and bottle as usual.

That works great, and doesn't make too much sediment in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back