Year old Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tspilker

Reaction score
I put a case of Apfelwein bottles in my basement last May and sort of forgot about it.

Well, I just cracked a bottle of it open... it is better than I could have ever imagined. So appley, lost all the of the "cideryness" that I remember from a green batch of this stuff. It is like... champagne that tastes more like apple... I love it.

Just felt like sharing !

:drunk:

edit: forgot that this stuff gets me quick, no wonder I did 22oz bottles. Should have made this thread in ramblings. I am making a double batch of this stuff this weekend... as I have 10 bottles left and I am tapped out. *sad face*

Yup. I don't even begin thinking about serving mine til it's a year old. I found that most folks I knew hated it young. Found it too hot and harsh, but loved it nearly a year later. Now I just bulk age it for a minimum 6 months, and then bottle it and leave it. I made a batch in early Jan, and bottles it a week ago (carbed) I may crack the first ones in August, just to see. But the bulk of the drinking will be in the winter, and I'll give a lot away as gifts for Christmas.

I made a batch in Jan. I was thinking about drinking it at a Halloween Party this year.

How long did you let it sit in the primary before bottling it?

Awesome. mine has been in the primary 6 months now.

Do you recommend bottling at 6 months or waiting longer?

I could let this sit forever really. If it takes 2-3 years of sitting, I got the time to spare.

I kegged mine after around 40 days in the primary, then had to transfer to bottles for long-term basement storage. I used the homemade beergun method.

It sat down there for at least 10 months. SOO wonderful. Minor headache this morning... but it was worth it.

So my question now is ... How long is too long to let this sit in the primary? Im at 6 month in the primary now. That's a big time investment down the drain if that is to long to keep it in the primary.

I want to try this, but the notion of a "spare carboy" is foreign to me...typically as soon as I free one up I'm itching to fill it again! Maybe I'll buy a carboy for it

So my question now is ... How long is too long to let this sit in the primary? Im at 6 month in the primary now. That's a big time investment down the drain if that is to long to keep it in the primary.

Six months in the primary is fine but you should bottle it or move it to a secondary soon.

This reminds me that I have 8 - 750ml bottles of this stuff that I kept from a 1/09 batch. I should crack on open this weekend and see how it is progressing.

You guys got me thirsty...so I went to my stash and found 1/2 a case that I bottled in Oct 2007...:ban:

The last time I sampled this batch was on 8 Nov 2008...Very smooth, nice...:drunk:

I guess I have to make a new entry in my notes for today. :mug:

Revvy: you going to Brewcamp? I'm thinking about it about 41-42%...

Munche: It sounds like you need more carboys...I have over 20 of them...lots of spares...:mug:

I have been drinking a batch bottled in August 2009. 4 weeks in primary then bottled. It was good when it was first brewed, but now it is fantastic. Truly mellowed with time and very appley taste with no alcohol bite and might I say crystal clear. Very dangerous, I will try to age all my ciders from now on. J

Back