Yay!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should, but since it's your first, you could always do an experiment and taste one after a week, followed by one the next week, and finally, the third week. You will find that the flavors blend together nicely as time progresses that way, and it will show you why it's important to wait. (I couldn't wait on my first batch either) :)

On a side note, after 2 or 3 weeks, let them cold condition in your fridge for a week or so. It will help to clear the beer a bit more and help to prevent chill haze.

I'm in the same boat as you. One of the hardest thing about being a new brewer is the patient factor. My first batch was under 50 bottles because I kept taking samples for final gravity checks. One of the easier things to do keep your mind off it is now that you've bottled can you start another batch or can you do more recipe research?

Yeah, you probably should, but it won't hurt to try one now and then. Just don't do what I did and come here and explain your beer tastes weird unless it still tastes weird after a month. ;)

I would try one -- I know I would because I did on my first batch and I'll try one today on the current batch, which is a week in the bottles. Now, when I get to the point that I have several bottles of homebrew sitting around from two or three previous batches, plus a case or four in reserve from those previous batches, well then I'll probably leave it alone for four or five weeks. Probably.

As NitrouStang96 said, though, if you try it and come here and suggest it doesn't taste right, well, your right it doesn't.

Rick

Thanks for replying. I think I'll have to try one in a few days.

You are dying to try your beer so go for it! Try one a week until it really gets good. You will be able to see how the beer improves over 3 or 4 weeks. :mug:

Congrats on your first batch! I'm curious how they are tasting however.

Just an observation from you're blogspot...you don't want to drop your beer into the bottle bucket like that when you siphon out of the fermenter.
0207081129.jpg

You just oxygenated your finished product and oxygen is bad now and will cause some off flavors at the very least.
So if your beer tastes good now you are going to be amazed with your next batch when you improve your process.

Key now is sanitation. All your gear has a batch through it so your chances of contamination are higher. Pick up some star-san, the foam is your friend, and scrub everything twice. And when you are ready to use the piece of equipment, wash it one more time with sanitizer and use it wet; you can't go wrong.

Your well on your way brother! :mug:

Back