Yakima

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_steve

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to the forum and newer to the home brew world. I moved near Yakima, WA last July (highly recommend the area) and later found how it's basically the capital of hops in the US! We moved here for my wife to attend Medical School (PNWU) and since then I have met a lot of home brewers and individuals in the hop industry. Coming from the northern plains (ND) I was never exposed to a variety of good beer. So much good beer out here! Thankfully my eyes were opened. I don't plan to home brew myself as we live in a tiny house on wheels (310 sq ft) but I assist with my friends home brew operations.

I also have started filming a series for a hop company (Yakima Valley Hops) that is tracking the hop season here in Yakima Valley. I'm curious what you guys think of it? Topic ideas? I really enjoy photography and videography so this will be a fun project. The video is Not too in depth but their goal is to dive in deeper in later episodes. If you guys have questions please ask away as I would love to ask the one farm manager I know some hop related questions and pass on the info!

I hope to contribute some hop updates/pictures as the season continues! Especially when harvest arrives. Look forward to learning more about home brewing on here. Thanks for letting me join. Cheers!

Steve

Hop Vine-2.jpg

Hop Field Drive.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool. Can't wait to watch more!

Thanks!! It is I'll be fun to follow the season. I'm especially excited for harvest and to tour some kilns. Hopefully post some updates and pictures on here.

What chemical are they using to " burn back" their hops? How long from the time they spray till the time new growth emerges? I'm very interested in this.

What chemical are they using to " burn back" their hops? How long from the time they spray till the time new growth emerges? I'm very interested in this.

Not sure about the growers in PNW but the folks in the midwest are using some of the products listed in this study: http://ir4.rutgers.edu/Fooduse/PerfData/3782.pdf along with a concentrated nitrogen source, burn'em & feed'em all at the same time!

Back