YAKBaQ (Yet Another Keezer Build and Questions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tssgery

Reaction score
Me and the Missus went to Costco today. We saw the Haier chest freezer and she told me I should make a keezer! She didn't need to say it again, I quickly put that bad boy on my cart and dutifully followed her around the store being as helpful as I could.

I've had this build planned for a while but upon getting the supplies home have some questions. I see people using a 1x<something> for the collar and have some myself. When I dri-fit the 1x6 on the lip of the freezer, I'm not convinced that it will may a good seal with the lid. The collar on the freezer itself is 1.25 inches wide but my 1x6 is only .75 inches.

So, first question: is this an issue? Should I make a wider collar or use .5 inch insulation foam to make the seal 'better'?

I've got a STC1000 that I plan to use to control the temps and planned on mounting it in the collar as others have done. I was also going to wire the STC1000 to two electrical outlets also mounted in the collar. I don't see a problem with putting outlets in the collar but wanted to get some other opinions.

So, second question: Is it ok to mount electrical outlets in the collar?

I used 1x6 and foam insulation for my collar, worked out well. Silicon'd all the edges and have a pretty tight seal all around.

I used 1x with R-Tech 1-1/2" foam insulation from Home Depot. Affix the collar to the chest freezer lid, move the lid gasket to the bottom of the collar, and move the hinges from the lid to the collar. This way you hinge and bring the taps and lines up off of the kegs. It works very well for me.

Almost done.

Just waiting on a sanke tap for commercial kegs.

Plenty of room for my two homebrew kegs and one sanke sixtel. Dogfish Head 60 waiting for the sanke tap and beer will be moving from the fermenter to one of those cornies tomorrow.

11698_10151320749748008_2001163030_n.jpg

531096_10151320749818008_1848424154_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back