Wyeast's 1028 Style Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trav77

Reaction score
I've been on a bit of a British kick of late and although I've brewed plenty of bitters in the past I've usually tended to stick with 1968 London ESB or1469 West Yorkshire. Recently I picked up a pack of 1028 London Ale and am a bit surprised by Wyeast's style recommendations for it. They're exclusively dark styles, nothing in the pale mild/bitter/PA/IPA realm. The reputed source is Worthington White Shield which is an IPA so what's the deal? Why no recommendation for pale styles?

It's one of the best choices for dark beer - especially porter and stouts - but makes very nice bitters and ESB/IPA as well. I particularly like it in EIPA and hoppy bitters where the dry-mineral character works well with English hops. Although, it can take a while to get bright clarity without fininings.

I love this yeast in porters, stouts, old ales and barleywines. I liked it just fine in a mild, but prefer 1968 or 1318 in that style. Never used it in hoppy styles, usually reach for 1469 or 1968 with those.

Back