WYeast XL Smack Packs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
I am brewing a kit using a smack pack for the first time. It said to smack the pack a tleast three hours before pitching, but 12-4 would be better. I smacked it last night ~8pm. This morning, it was swelled up and seemingly bulging at the seams. I am not brewing untill ~7 tonight (24rs)....I am not headed home to an exploded yeast pack am I?

-Todd

I think those packs are pretty rugged and are not likely to explode on you.

those yeast wranglers are pretty smart, and they probably know EXACTLY how much CO2 will be produced by the yeast and wort in the packs, and have probably engineered those bags to hold that with no issues.

-walker

I've never seen one explode. But, walker is right in that the packs are very tough. I think this is partially to avoid the problem of a package making a big mess if it is activated during shipping.

Those yeasties are pretty clever too. They know a feasting bonanza awaits them so they'll just hold off getting too excited until you dump them in that big carboy of yeasty heaven. :D

BlightyBrewer said:
Those yeasties are pretty clever too. They know a feasting bonanza awaits them so they'll just hold off getting too excited until you dump them in that big carboy of yeasty heaven. :D

They will have to settle for a big "ale-pail" of heaven. :drunk:

My yeasty friends have never been choosy about carboy or pail.

The smack pack is very durable. Just keep the pack cool, the only problem I've ever had with a smack pack is when the yeast got cooked during shipping. I guess the ole UPS truck got a bit too warm on a hot sunny summer day.

andre the giant said:
My yeasty friends have never been choosy about carboy or pail.

The smack pack is very durable. Just keep the pack cool, the only problem I've ever had with a smack pack is when the yeast got cooked during shipping. I guess the ole UPS truck got a bit too warm on a hot sunny summer day.
I missed the UPS guy on a Friday afternoon. Although I did call and direct them to hold the package at their Will Call, I was unable to get there that night, so the smackpack spent one day in transit, one day in the truck in my town, and the weekend in the non-airconditioned UPS warehouse. All this in 90+ heat of the summer.

The result: When I brewed the next weekend, the pack didn't swell much at all after six hours, but I pitched anyway. It took 48 hours, but it took off after that, and produced a nice tasty Irish Stout when all was said and done.

Yeast are tough little buggers.

rhinostylee said:
What is this crazy smack-pack that you speak of? I've never heard if it in all my weeks of brewing.

In the US there are two dominant players for liquid yeast. Wyeast and White Labs.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/index.htm
http://www.whitelabs.com

If you're using dry, using liquid yeast is a big component in making your good beer better by choosing one that fits closer to the style of brew your making. A bit more expensive ($6 - $7) but there are threads on re-using yeast that you can peruse to see how you can stretch your dollars for multiple batches.

Back