wyeast smack pack didn't swell up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEarley

Reaction score
I activated my wyeast 3787 Trappist high gravity pack and after 3 hours it doesn't look like the pack expanded. I ordered the pack in July from nb and had it in my keggerator since. At 40 degrees it should be good for a few months. I hope the shipping in the heat didn't kill it. I do hear some foaming inside a little bit. Should I worry? Or just use it and see what happens, I can always pitch the yeast again in a few days right?

Viability starts to fall the second the yeasts are packed and shipped. I'd give most yeasts about six months from leaving their labs/factories for good viability. You might check the date on the smack pack for a guestimation.

Tell me, did you let the smack pack come to room temperature before you smacked it? If not, I might wait another hour or two before pitching. If you're worried, you could always use another packet of yeast if you have a LHBS nearby, or even another one from your yeast stash if you have some extra packets of yeast around. I've made some pretty good tripel using regular old Safbrew S-33.

I ordered all the starter equipment minus the stirring plate. I'm going to make one. I'm kicking myself for not brewing this beast sooner. I'll wait it out. Should get it by the end if the week. Otherwise I'll drive the 20 min the nearest brew shop

Back