Wyeast London ESB temp range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burgundyblue

Reaction score
I haven't brewed in nearly two years (pretty much since my son was born) and the wife and I made a batch a couple of weeks ago (White IPA). Gravity pre-fermentation was 1.066, my target gravity. We pitched the yeast and all that and put the carboy down in the basement. My basement generally runs 60-65 degrees and the Wyeast instructions say to ferment at 64-72 degrees. The yeasties were crazy for the first couple of days, but not a bubble since. I checked the gravity today after two weeks and it's sitting at 1.046. Did the yeast go to sleep? And if so, if I put it in a slightly warmer space (EDIT: 69-72 degrees), will they reactivate and finish the job?

Thanks in advance!

I used this same yeast on an ESB about two weeks ago. It's a fast and furious yeast, but after two weeks it should be a lot lower than 1.046. My OG was 1.052 and when I check the gravity today, the FG was 1.010.

refractometers are not accurate when alcohol is present. there are calculators to correct the reading.

You're current gravity is WAY lower than 1.046, so rdwhahb

This is very good to hear. After some quick Googling, the calculator is telling me I'm at a 5.2% ABV.

Thanks for that! I was incredibly worried.

I ferment a lot with that yeast, and it goes very fast. I start low (60-62F) and slowly raise after a few days. My recent Gumballhead though, literally finished in 3 days before I could raise the temp. Still finished the beer down to 1.012.

Back