Wyeast london ale 3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buntung483

Reaction score
So went to the lhbs to get some yeast fora coconut stout. I thought I'd go wyeasts version of white labs 002 which I was told London ale 2 but with out realizing they gave me London ale 3. Any able to tell me how this may go. I've never used either and sure will turn out good though

From the wyeast description, should be fine to make a malty sweet stout with some fruit components. It sounds similar to Burton Ale Yeast, which I like in my stouts for a little complexity. I don't think it will hurt unless you really wanted a clean, dry flavor to your stout. Seeing that you're after a coconut stout, I think this would be a fine yeast to use.

Mash at a low temperature, like 147F or lower.

I used it in an Amber and mashed at 149F. Got 70% apparent attenuation.

I used it in a sweet stout and mashed at 154F and got 60% apparent attenuation.

I liked the fruitiness I got from it. It's subtile and in the background.

I just used 1318 (london III) in an Old Ale. I tried to find more info from brewers who have experience with this yeast. Couldn't find much.
I got obvious fermentation after 12 hours. I pitched at 75* and quickly cooled to 61*. 36 hours later woke up and krausen was pushing through the airlock. The temp was at 63* The lid was lifting up s$&t and I have go to work. I put on blow off, didn't help much. Cooled back down to 61*. No more blow off or lifting lid.
That was yesterday. This morning again back up to 64*, same thing lid lifting, blow off is bubbling this time.
Long story short this yeast is very finicky with temps. I am using water bath method for cooling, keeping exact temps are difficult. I would almost double head room for this yeast. I knew it was a true top cropper, but under-estimated the room it would take.

I used the Wyeast 1318 London Ale III for the first time last weekend (have a lot more experience with Wyeast 1968 & 1028 English strains). The krausen with 1318 looks sticky and about 1" thick, no blowoff. A starter was made per Mr Malty. The fermentation went quick - graph of fermenter temperature & gravity (by sample drawn for refractomer/correction) is below. I'm assuming (hoping) the 1.017 gravity is not the final gravity, but just a few points away... I'm really looking forward to tasting this beer.

Graph.jpg

You don't know what top cropping yeast is until you've tried 1318. That stuff is nuts. I love the finished product, though.

002 and 1318 are my favorite english strains, i don't think you'll be upset with the mixup. its lightly fruity and gives a great malt profile. i haven;t had the attenuation issues beernik has, i regularly get around 77-80% attenuation mashing at 152F

Strong Ale part 2. So in my ultimate wisdom, to dry my beer a bit and get a slight increase in alcohol, I added 12 ounces of beet sugar. The yeast was falling back down, big islands floating on top. All hell broke loose again. Yeast busting through the airlock. Back to a blow-off on day 14 of fermentation.

Back