Wyeast london ale 3 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevesauer

Reaction score
Hello. Quick question here. Brewed an east coast ipa with this yeast. Planned on doing a starter but ended up pressed for time. Attempted to scale back recipe to compensate but ended up with OG of 1.079. 10 days later I'm at 1.018. Not bad, but wondering if I should pitch a little dry ale yeast; s-04 or 7 or something similar to dry it out. Been slowly ramping temp up over last few days. At 72 currently trying to convince it to finish. Bottom line; I know I underpitched. Let it ride or repitch? Thanks all!

All grain. I'm leaning towards your suggestion; I'm at nearly 77% apparent attenuation at this point anyway. Just would like to be a wee bit drier.

The listed attenuation for London III tops out at 75% so 77% is pretty good. You're probably done. You don't mention your grain bill but some sugar will help dry it out in future batches. Also a higher attenuating yeast. London III is a bit on the sweet side plus underpitching may bring out some sweet notes. Hey, you may have invented a new IPA style - Pennsylvania IPA!

Hello. Quick question here. Brewed an east coast ipa with this yeast. Planned on doing a starter but ended up pressed for time. Attempted to scale back recipe to compensate but ended up with OG of 1.079. 10 days later I'm at 1.018. Not bad, but wondering if I should pitch a little dry ale yeast; s-04 or 7 or something similar to dry it out. Been slowly ramping temp up over last few days. At 72 currently trying to convince it to finish. Bottom line; I know I underpitched. Let it ride or repitch? Thanks all!

I'd let it be. 77% is normal for 1318. What did you mash at and what was your recipe?

I've become a big fan of 1318. These types of IPAs are suppose to have some residual sweetness and understand with an FG like that there will be a good body to the beer as well. A full body is very important with this style IPA as well.

I mashed at 150 for 60 minutes and the grain bill was 15 lbs of avangard pilsen malt. I have 50 lbs of it from taking 2nd in a local comp, so I used it simply because it's on hand. I realize it isn't the optimal choice for the style.

Back