Wyeast Activator Smack Pack Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinwollmann

Reaction score
I just pitched a American ale liquid yeast, and was wondering what to expect for lag time?This is the first time I've ever used one.I brewed a 5ga.all grain batch of IPA and aereated the wort well.It's temp is about 66'F.I smacked it about 8 hours before I pitching , and it was fully swelled up.

cheers...........

6 hours is good. 2 days is a long one, but not unheard of. Remember, yeast is a living, breathing thing. Sometime you get tempremental ones :D

I've used it once thus far.

I didn't even break my nutrient ball so there was only slight puffing of the package. I pitched mine at 9:30 or so and went to bed, the next morning there was activity.

Your brew is at a good temp and your yeast is alive, as evident by the swelling.

:mug:

colinwollmann said:
I just pitched a American ale liquid yeast, and was wondering what to expect for lag time?This is the first time I've ever used one.I brewed a 5ga.all grain batch of IPA and aereated the wort well.It's temp is about 66'F.I smacked it about 8 hours before I pitching , and it was fully swelled up.

cheers...........
Great news.My brew started to ferment about 8 or 9 hours after pitching.So I'm a happy man!!!

Back