Wyeast ACT1000 vs Wyeast 1335

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

Yesterday I ordered my second Ferocious IPA kit from Midwest Supplies. The first batch went very quickly and I wanted to brew another batch for this summer. Today I just noticed that the first batch used Wyeast ACT1000 (Headwaters Ale) and my new order contains Wyeast 1335 (British Ale II). I searched for the Headwaters Ale yeast on their site and saw it is temporarily out of stock. So I'm guessing that is their usual yeast for this kit and the British Ale II is just a substitute until they get more Headwaters in.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with these two yeasts, or can at least tell if the change would make much difference. On an IPA like this, I don't know how much the yeast effects the flavor. It calls for an ounce of Amarillo and an ounce of Simcoe divided and added at five intervals during the boil. Then it's dry hopped on an ounce each of Ahtanum, Amarillo and Simcoe in the secondary.

Having just had this beer, I have high expectations for the second batch so I don't want to be disappointed. Of course I need to remember that part of the fun of home brewing is trying new things - I might find I like this beer with the British Ale II yeast even better!

Thanks for your help!

1335 is the most neutral of the british yeasts. Its quite clean when fermented cool. It emphesizes the malt over the hops compared to the chico strain. Never used headwaters ale, but id think you will be fine.

I have no idea on flavor yet, and I haven't taken any gravity readings other than my OG (1.057). But this yeast is showing the longest measurable activity of any I've used.

I pitched it at 11:30am Saturday, and by 9:00pm it was at 67 degrees and producing 20 CO2 bubbles per minute. I use a blow-off tube that consists mainly of 1/2" ID PVC, so these are good sized bubbles. By 7:00am Sunday it was at 65 degrees (the temperature I'd set my fermentation chamber for) and producing 46 bubbles per minute. The krausen was to the top of my 6-gallon carboy, with a little in the blow-off tube, but nothing in the jar of sanitizer.

On Monday at 5:00pm, it was 65 degrees and producing 32 bubbles per minute. At that point I decided to let the temperature rise, so I did not replace the ice jug I had put in that morning.

On Tuesday at 5:00pm it was 67 degrees and producing 24 bubbles per minute. On Wednesday at 4:15pm it was 69 degrees and producing 20 bubbles per minute. On Thursday at 6:00pm it was 70 degrees (room temperature) and producing 13 bubbles per minute. On Friday at 6:00pm it was 70 degrees and producing 8 bubbles per minute.

Today, at 9:30am (two hours short of exactly one week from pitching) it is 70 degrees and producing 6 bubbles per minute.

I'm very curious as to what the FG reading will come in at. And, of course, how the beer tastes!

Back