Wyeast 3944 taste . . VERY YEASTY?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLoBaLReBeL

Reaction score
So, I just brewed a Belgian White from AHS with this yeast and I previously brewed a Blue Moon clone using the same one. I have noticed that I have a VERY YEASTY flavor from these. I only left the AHS on the primary for 2 weeks, and it was done fermenting after 6 days.

The AHS Belgian white was my first AG and I only got to 1.034 OG, and it ended up at 1.007 FG. I kegged it straight from the primary, and I've had it at 26 PSI in my 38-40F keggerator. Its been in there for 5 days, and it seems to have a good level of carb but the yeast flavor is REALLY aparent. Is it because of this yeast?

I fermented both the brews at 70F-73F. I use the carboy in a bucket with water, a t-shirt, fan, and frozen water bottles. Its hard to keep it below 70F, but I think it would be doable if needed.

Any ideas?

It sounds like your yeast autolyzed. 2 weeks is not enough time for healthy yeast to autolyze, so maybe your yeast was tired or past its expiration date or something. The longer you let this sit, the more the yeast flavor will dissipate as the yeast settles out of the beer.

I always keep reading that with Wheat beers, you don't want to let them sit for to long. I went ahead and made sure it had finished it fermentation and then let it sit another week in the primary. I then transferred into the keg and threw it on the CO2. So, I'll just let it sit for the next week or so in the fridge at 40F and hopefully it will all turn out allright.

Also, with my blue moon clone, using the same yeast, I let that one sit for a month before putting it into bottles. I had the same issue with it as I do with this Belgian white. I don't think the yeast was tired, I made a starter each time, and I used washed yeast with the Belgian white, and the starter that I made from that washed yeast for the Belgian white was VERY good.

Anyone else have any ideas as to why its so yeasty flavored?

It sounds to me like your beer just needs a few more days to settle down. Yes, witbier is usually cloudy and best served young, but based on your post, I think you're serving it at just over 3 weeks of age. I bet another week or so in the keg helps the flavor settle down.

I HIGHLY doubt the autolysis theory, unless by "yeasty" you mean "makes me want to vomit".

It sounds like your yeast autolyzed. 2 weeks is not enough time for healthy yeast to autolyze, so maybe your yeast was tired or past its expiration date or something. The longer you let this sit, the more the yeast flavor will dissipate as the yeast settles out of the beer.

Ah, no....if his yeast autlosyzed he'd be complaining that the beer smelled like week old gorilla poop in a diaper tossed on the side of a highway in the heat of summer.

Like jds said, it sounds like he moved it too soon, and there's too much yeast still in suspension. I leave my wits a month, and since the yeast is a low flocculation yeast it still is plenty cloudy, but as a judge friend pointed out, it's very clean and refreshing on the palate. It's not overly yeasty tasting.

So even with wits, they can be left so the yeast can clean up the byproducts of fermentation. Just because somethings meant to be drunk "young" doesn't mean you want to drink it premature.

So have none of us had marmite/veggiemite or do we simply have poor critical thinking skills?

Oh here we go again Remmy......I told you I'm not sleeping with you and that's final, so you really don't need to keep playing the creepy stalker....no one really cares, or particularly likes you any more since you started this. Especially me. I mean jeez, Jds said the same thing and you didn't feel the need to challenge HIM did you? (I doubt he'd want to sleep with you either) Once again you care not about helping the OP, all you care about is playing the troll.:rolleyes:

Besides, if you really cared you would realize that he would have described it more as meaty or any other descriptor usually ascribed to marmite-esque autolysis than simply simply just the word "yeasty." But that's not really your bag, helping people, that is....

HAHAHA, this is awesome! Keep the laughs coming! :)

Back to my problem . . . I guess I was a little pre-mature in kegging the belgian white. Should I take it off the C02, and let it sit at room temp for another week or two? Or, would it be better to leave it in the fridge at ~40F for another week or two and taste again?

Back to my problem . . . I guess I was a little pre-mature in kegging the belgian white. Should I take it off the C02, and let it sit at room temp for another week or two? Or, would it be better to leave it in the fridge at ~40F for another week or two and taste again?

At this point if it's in place in your setup, I wouldn't bother to move it out of place which would obviously kick up more yeast. I would just forget you have it on tap for another week or two and let stuff further settle. If it doesn't seem to have changed, which I think it will, you could warm it up, but I don't think you'll need to. Just see if gravity will take it's course. :mug:

Don't take it out. The time saved on conditioning would be matched in the time to get the beer reclimatized to the cold. Just wait it out. :mug:

Seriously. . . you guys rock! This thread alone made my day HAHA.Thanks for all the help. I guess I'll just be leaving her alone for a week or two and see how things pan out. I got some weihnstephaner to drink anyway.

I noticed the same thing with 3944 and though I would never use it again. Well after the beer mellowed and it was a huge hit at a party, I'm using it again this weekend. I would leave it like it is and give it a week or two.

Sounds good to me. I have like 5 separate jars of the 3944 so I want to keep using it, I just don't want to use it if it will always have this strong yeast flavor. So, I'll wait this out and see how things go.

**Update**
Just tried the keg again lat night . . . MUCH MUCH BETTER!! I have it at about 3.56 volumes and it is great! Still a strong nose, but much easier to drink.

Latest posts

Back