Wyeast 3864 quick fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnadon

Reaction score
I made a Wit with this yeast on Sunday. Started at 1.06 at 68 degrees. Let it go to 72 for a day and then up to 75 over the next two days. It then came to a screeching halt. No bubbles at all, and the yeast has begun to clear. FG seems to be 1.011. This was a bit of a surprise since this yeast has a reputation for finishing slow.

So my question is, how long should I let it sit before bottling? This is my first time making a wit.

Thanks in advance.

While I haven't used this yeast, it is listed as having the STA-1 gene, which means it is likely diastatic, meaning it will likely ferment pretty low. You've already seen approximately 81% AA, but I would let it go another week (or longer). Once you see consistent gravities over several days, then it's safe to bottle. Or, you can do what I do - forget about it for 3 total weeks in primary.

Thanks for the information. I knew nothing of the STA-1 gene in yeast. But now I do. Pretty interesting.

As for the wait three weeks, clearly good advice. Just hard to take when thristy.

Thanks for the information. I knew nothing of the STA-1 gene in yeast. But now I do. Pretty interesting.

As for the wait three weeks, clearly good advice. Just hard to take when thristy.

That's just what I do. Thankfully, I am not down to the last drop of beer at my place, so it's easy. While you're waiting, you can read all the messages about how the Bottle Bomb Boogeyman is coming to get you now that you've used a diastatic yeast (please read with sarcastic tone - be patient, sanitize thoroughly, and there's nothing to fear)

You said it was a Wit beer and since they are supposed to be drunk pretty fresh, I'd check the FG on day 10 and if it hasn't changed, I'd bottle it. Give it a week in the bottles, then sample one. Being a Wit it may not need any more maturing but if it doesn't develop a good head it needs more time in the bottle.

I had frozen this yeast about a year and a half ago after using it to make a Fin du Monde clone, forgot about it, then found it when cleaning/organizing the freezer when the Covid virus hit. It sat in the starter at 72 degrees for the first two days and looked to be doing nothing. But on day three the starter finally took and the primary fermentation smells at least at the moment like it's clean.

With the higher gravity beer, it definitely took its time getting to a stable SG. I kept some of those bottle for over a year stored around 74 degrees and never had any issues with bombs or gushers, but the carbonation definitely increased, as did the oxygination. Some ended up with a defintely sherry aftertaste.

I suppose I should freeze some more yeast from this cake when I'm done. Or would that be pushing my luck?

Back