Wyeast 3739 Flanders Golden Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineguy96

Reaction score
This is one of the current limited release offerings. I just used it on a strong golden ale recipe, OG was 1.076, after 18 days I am down to a SG of 1.006 and the sample tastes great. A little fruity but with great richness and depth. Anyone else tried this out? and any idea where the yeast originated from?

I am pretty excited by the outcome so far and plan to pick up some more before it cycles out, either that or I have to learn how to harvest it!

Steve.

It is purported to be the Gulden Drak strain. One of my favorite strains! Really chews through wort, my last BDSA got down to around 1.006 also to come in at 10% alcohol. The previous BDSA I did with it came in at 13%! Really a wonderful strain, though I have never tried it in a pale beer. As with most belgians age the beers for a while and they get even better.

Never tried Gulden Drak but will be on the lookout for it now, I can see why this is one of your favorite strains. Next time I will try it in a BDSA. Thanks, Steve.

Hrmm... I have a couple of bottles of Gulden Drak at the house that I haven't drank in a while... Curious if I could step them up from the dregs.

Unfortunately IIRC this is one specific beer where the brewery has said they use a "bottling" strain on purpose. From what I have read they are very secretive about the yeast they use, and that they use several different strains as apparently Piraat uses a different strain then Gulden Drak.

I just used this yeast in a belgian stout and I planned for 76% attenuation.... not even close! It dropped from 1.076 to 1.018 in a day, now a week later its still chugging down past 1.012. The neat thing I have found is that the lower it goes it gets a little sweeter and fuller, go figure.

I have noticed that as well. With some aging even though my BSDAs finish pretty dry with this strain they start to round out very nicely. The one I made that got to 13% ended at 1.004 and is quite malty and rich now after 2 years in the bottle. Wonderful strain.

Finally tracked down some bottles of Gulden Draak, got the regular ale and the 9000 quad. Sipping on the ale right now, claims to be a trippel but colorwise ls a medium brown, a touch sweet but very full bodied and fruity. My golden ale was good but not this good, back to the drawing board.

did anyone experience any banana esters coming out of fermentation on this? I just did a quad and its smelling like a dang banana bomb. I hope it doesn't turn out like that! :(

Currently I have it fermenting in the low 60's

I did notice that this one was an isoamyl acetate bomb. Trust me it won't last, just let it condition properly and you'll be fine.

Back