Wyeast 3463 (Forbidden Fruit) a mead/wine yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qvantamon

Reaction score
So, every equivalence table out there shows White Labs' WLP720 (Sweet mead/wine) as equivalent to Wyeast 3463 (Forbidden Fruit). The descriptions, however, couldn't be more different (forbidden fruit is supposed to be a wit/grand cru yeast). Are all those tables wrong, or is this actually accurate?

I'm wondering the same thing! My lhbs was out of forbidden fruit, and they guy tried to give me the Mead yeast! I thought he was crazy! Then I looked up the substitution charts, and they do suggest using that Mead yeast. Still not totally buying it.

Zombie thread! I'll be your huckleberry. I can't speak for the White Labs 720 yeast, but I've used Forbidden fruit for a regular strength Belgian Wit and a strong Belgian Wit. Both were good and comparable to Wyeast 3944 in regards to overall flavor(forbidden was fruitier) and attenuation. Scarce information can be found on using wlp720 in beer. I was once tempted to use wlp720 in a Tripel Karmeliet clone, but I never did it. What I have found in my searches is that forbidden fruit and wlp720 are not the same. 720 doesn't attenuate as well, therefore it is sweeter. That is the extent of my knowledge.

The Mead yeast is meant for a sweet Mead, so I'd imagine it would finish high. I ended up getting 3944 instead of forbidden fruit.

I know it's a pretty dead thread but I was wondering about the same after I saw MrMalty's chart listing WLP720 as the equivalent to the 'Forbidden Fruit'. I contacted White Labs and was told that they weren't the same and instead, WLP099 Super High Gravity was a cross of Wyeast 3463. They seem pretty different at first glance to me, but that's the info I got!

Back