Wyeast 3056 Slow after initial Potassium metabisulfate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkloos

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I added 1/4 tsp to my 6 gallons of unpasteurized cider, waited 24 hours and then threw in a slightly swollen pack of Wyeast 3056. 20 hours later there is no activity. Temps are at 69F. The Wyeast pack was dated May 15th...

Any thoughts?

Maybe give it a good stir or two, make sure the yeast has some good oxy and the sulfites are bound up. Give it another day or so.

Still no action... I'm starting to think the yeast pack was pushing its shelf life, as it was 4+ months old and did not swell.

I'll swing over to the LHBS today and request a new pack and give it a pitch.

The sister batch of the same juice with a little more sugar (both treated with Potassium Metabisulfate) is roaring now with LAvlin QA23. It's gotta be the yeast....

So, I bought another pack of the same yeast. Pitched it Friday afternoon.
Yesterday there was a film of yeast on the surface of with some slow bubbling in the airlock, maybe 1 bubble every 10 seconds. I'll see if things speed up over the next day and grab a hygrometer reading and report back...

So strange.

Latest posts

Back