Wyeast - 3 days, no bubbling..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvs-brew

Reaction score
I done 2 brews on Tuesday
1 with 3944 Belgian Wit and American ale 1056, as of this morning, still nothing...
I did not make a starter (gotta research it more)..
Has anyone else (who hasnt made a starter) find them to be slow starters?
*note, these are fermenting in corny kegs so it has a good air tight seal
Cheers

What were the dates on the yeast packs?
Were they already swelled up?
Did you pop the inner nutrient pack?

When you say, "nothing", what does that mean? what was your observation?
How are you releasing CO2 from the corny kegs???

ive had them about 6 weeks, they were new when i got them.
the 3944 was nice and swollen, the 1056 not so much.

i had a little mishap with the wort for the 3944, the oring from the corny keg fell in it (whoops) hahaha, so i put a new oring on last night and noticed that there was some trub forming (good sign).

the CO2 is being released via a disconnect on the "in" post, used it before and it works a treat, the other i will vent manually via pressure relief on top of lid

im going to go get some dry us-05 tonight... think the 3944 is working, just slow...the 1056, i have no idea about :/

What was the production date printed on the packages of yeast?
I would say starters would have been warranted just for having the yeast for six weeks.
Your fermentations may go, but at a slower rate. What temperature are you holding the wort at?

I wish i could advise you of the date BUT im at work and the packets have been thrown away.

wort for both is controlled @ 19c (66f)

well i will keep some us-05 back-up...
knowing now that it could be a slow ferment, i will wait a while longer to see if i get any visible signs

cheers

the other i will vent manually via pressure relief on top of lid

whoa... bad idea. unless you are there all the time to release you are gonna have a huge amount of pressure build up. high pressure= not good for yeast
and a lot of pressure, released all at once = foam foam foam

What was the OG of each brew? Anything over 1.050 needs a starter or multiple packs its even more important when older yeast is used. Not sure what you need to research when it comes to yeast starters, whether is how to make them or why they should be done everytime you use liquid yeast but just ask questions for help. 1056 shouldn't be a slow starter but you likely severely underpitched and that may have led to longer lag times . I agree with the others about not fermenting in a corny unless you have a correctly built spunding valve. Sounds like a lot of potential problems with little control.

Take a gravity reading yet? I've had some strains act like this, and gravity readings told me everything was fine!

Back