Wyeast 2633 and WLP 833, Super Faster Fermentors???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coryforsenate

Reaction score
Anybody who's used these guys before, are they really quick fermentors? I made an oktoberfest (1.065 og) last Sunday using both of them and while I've yet to take a gravity reading, as of today we're down to a bubble about every 10-15 seconds.

I made a fermentation chamber out of a 75qt coleman cube filled with water and ice for my glass carboy, so I know the temperature has been fine (49-52 degrees from thrice daily checking with a calibrated thermometer). I made a 3 liter starter that got occasional air spurts to help the yeast multiply and when I cold crashed the starter I noticed a pretty good layer of white yeast on top of the off-white trub, so it was well-pitched.

This is my first lager, so I suppose I'm a little nervous. I'm sure I just need to RDWHAHB:mug:. Assuming a gravity reading shows it's ~3/4's of the way to terminal gravity, it would be time to do a diacetyl rest for 3-5 days and then rack to the secondary, right?:D

I just made an Oktober with 833, and am fermenting a session Munich with it, but no its not a fast fermenter, took almost 2 weeks to it final OG on the Marzen, which add a 1.060og. I never had any signs of Diacetyl but I did do a 36hr rest at 67*.

And I fermented at 50*.

Typically, a lager yeast isn't a fast fermenter. Don't gauge fermentation by your airlock activity.

Anybody who's used these guys before, are they really quick fermentors? I made an oktoberfest (1.065 og) last Sunday using both of them and while I've yet to take a gravity reading, as of today we're down to a bubble about every 10-15 seconds.

I made a fermentation chamber out of a 75qt coleman cube filled with water and ice for my glass carboy, so I know the temperature has been fine (49-52 degrees from thrice daily checking with a calibrated thermometer). I made a 3 liter starter that got occasional air spurts to help the yeast multiply and when I cold crashed the starter I noticed a pretty good layer of white yeast on top of the off-white trub, so it was well-pitched.

This is my first lager, so I suppose I'm a little nervous. I'm sure I just need to RDWHAHB:mug:. Assuming a gravity reading shows it's ~3/4's of the way to terminal gravity, it would be time to do a diacetyl rest for 3-5 days and then rack to the secondary, right?:D

I'm following this thread as I have just used 2633 for the first time.What temp did you pitch at?

Back