Wyeast 1968 or WLP037 for Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueflint

Reaction score
I tried this in the general discussion but didn't get any response so here goes...

Wyeast 1968 London ESB Ale yeast
- or -
White Labs WLP037 Yorkshire Square Ale yeast

I am getting things together for an Oatmeal Stout and I am going to use one of these two yeast but...which one? Any thoughts? Both were harvested last winter (robust porters) and stored in the back of the fridge. I got them out a few days ago and made a starter from each of them and things look good and viable. Any thoughts on which one would be "better" and why?

Thanks,
Tony

Either one is suitable. The 1968 has a slightly lower expected attenuation (although I've had it go to 76% on an ESB that I mash a bit lower than normal).

I prefer the 1968 to 037. i've had the opposite experiece of floyd, 76% is the lowest attenuation i've gotten with 1968. If you already made robust porters with both tho, I think you have a better insight onto which you prefer

Thanks guys...yeah I am leaning towards the 1968, I really liked it in my Robust Porter. I think that is the way I am going.

Tony

Back