Wyeast 1968 mishap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgodont

Reaction score
So, I've never been big on brewing with English yeasts as they generally tend to not attenuate out well at low temps and they give off more esters than I want for most of the styles I brew. I brewed a best bitter at about 1.048 last weekend and pitched a healthy amount of yeast with good aeration and had a happy fermentation bubbling away within 6 hours at 66 degrees. It climbed up to 68 and it stayed there for about 4 days, but as the temp started to drop, I wanted to keep it up around 68 to get good attenuation. I put a heating pad under the carboy, went back upstairs to put the kiddos to bed and forgot about the heating pad. Unfortunately, I didn't remember is until about 20 hours later when I discovered that the temp was probably about 80 degrees. I'm dropping it back down to to a cooler temp to get it to clear up. Fermentation has stopped at this point.
I know the bulk of ester formation takes place during the growth phase, but does anyone have any idea what I might expect regarding fusels and esters that late in the fermentation? Kind of a bummer since it had been an otherwise ideal fermentation up until that point.

i bet you it's 100% perfectly fine. a good pitch of healthy 1968 should have been well finished fermenting such a small beer in 4 days, and the high temp (27c) won't have done anything other than speed up diacetyl cleanup and maybe help attenuation a tiny bit. i always ramp this yeast strain up by day 3 or 4 (i suspect anyone who knows this yeast well also does), ok not quite up to 27, but i have ramped it up to 24 or so and that works great. anyways try it and report back!

Two week post kegging and carbonation. Flavors are all appropriate. No off flavors. Well attenuated. I wouldn't recommend ramping it up that much, considering the buttpuckering factor, but I got a great result.

I have used this yeast a number of times and have found it responds really well to lower temps in the first few days and letting the temperature slowly rise over a few days. I've never had it over 68 degrees though. I'm sure it will be fine but this yeast is very, very temperamental. Good luck!

Final verdict is no obvious off flavors and the beer was nice and attenuated. I wouldn't recommend repeating it, but lucked out.

I ferment this yeast in my bitters and milds at 66-68 degrees depending on the recipe, then pop it up to 72 after 3-4 days to let it clean up after itself, then I drop the hammer on it and crash cool to 35 degrees to clear the beer fast, this yeast drops out very well anyway but I find the rapid cooling from the elevated temp gets me really nice clarity in short order.

Back