Wyeast 1768

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootney

Reaction score
I just brewed up NB's Rebel Red kit, and prior to pitching the starter, I tasted what I decanted, and it was pretty sour. Reading the profile of this yeast, what I tasted, did not fit the description of the yeast. Just curious if anyone has used this yeast and just wanted some feedback.

How about some details??? I'm thinking about trying a packet of 1768 soon, while it's available...

Also, I wouldn't evaluate a yeast by what the starter tasted like. Far better, IMO, to wait until the actual brew is done... It's like judging a meal on one ingredient before it's even been made ready (the ingredient in it's raw form)...

I like what I tasted, with the exception of the starter having a tart/sour flavor that has me worried. It doesn't have the same taste of the other Wyeast English strains which is a good thing IMO. I still pitched the yeast anyway because I have to stay on schedule.

This beer was mashed at 156 and had 7.75 ounces of Columbus hops added with one minute left in the boil so there will be plenty going on with this batch to go with the yeast (if it has a tart influence).

This beer was mashed at 156 and had 7.75 ounces of Columbus hops added with one minute left in the boil

You used nearly a half pound of columbus hops at flame out?! What is this, a 15 gallon batch? If you did use that many hops, I wouldn't be surprised if the beer has some strange flavors.

This yeast should not give the beer a 'tart' or 'sour' taste - it is actually pretty clean as English yeasts go and should emphasize the malt more than the esters. At higher temps it will give off some alcohol aroma/flavor.

I did add 7.75 oz of 14.4% alpha Columbus hops during the last minute per the recipe instructions. The mash was at 156 so I feel the higher mash temp along with high alpha hop addition at flameout should create a unique combination.

I don't question the recipe (5 Gallon), but I do question the taste of the starter. As I stated earlier, it was tart/sour, and going off of it's description from Wyeast I should have not tasted that at all with the starter.

Either or, the yeast is mixed in with the wort, but I was hoping I could get some input from others that have used this yeast and they'd tell me that everything is ok :)

Oh, the starter tasted sour/tart. Sorry, long day. I wouldn't be too worried about the starter beer tasting funny, especially it fermented around room temp. So long as it was not an acetic/vinegar-type sourness and had a healthy fermentation, you should be good. However, make sure to keep your primary fermentation temps in check with this yeast. It doesn't make good beer once it goes up much higher than 70F.

Half a pound of hops is crazy for a flame out addition! Let us know how it turns out.

The starter temp was around 70-72 degrees so I wonder if that contributed to the flavor of the starter. The plan is to keep this fermenting around 64 degrees. I'll keep it low per your suggestion. Fermentation was underway this morning so I'll let you know how this one turns out when it's done.

Just thought I'd give an update on how this beer is coming along. I just sampled the beer out of primary and it's pretty tasty. It has strong hop aroma but no bitterness what so ever. It has a very nice balance to it. It turned out the sourness that I tasted in the starter didn't carry over to the beer. The one thing I didn't know what to expect was how the final gravity would turn out due to the high mash temp. It has finished up at 1.026. So the beer itself is just a shade under 4%. All in all it looks like this one will turn out just fine. Thanks to whoever gave the low fermentation temp tip as I kept it at 64 the whole time.

So how did the brew turn out using 1768-PC?? I'm about to pop the nutrient packet in a pouch and make a starter for it... Would be nice to know what others have experienced with it so far.

I will be pouring my first glass of it this weekend. I'm not really sure the batch I brewed up is the best for trying to see how much influence the yeast has on this beer due to high late hop additions as well as a mash temp of 156. What tasted prior to legging was good IMO. I'll let you know what it taste like carbonated sometime this weekend.

Alright so I tried the beer I initially started this thread for and I would say it's okay. I wouldn't say it's a good beer and I wouldn't say it's a bad beer either. It has a great deal of hop influence but not bitter at all. It has good aroma. Golddiggie asked about the yeast influence and I can't notice it. To me it seems very neutral, and reading the WY description I would say it fits this yeast to a T. One thing I will say is that this yeast is highly flocculent, and produced a crystal clear beer. I always use whirfloc and isinglass with my beers and none of them were as clear as this beer turned out. I plan to use this yeast again next month and I’ll keep you posted on how it turns out. Cheers.

Alright so I tried the beer I initially started this thread for and I would say it's okay. I wouldn't say it's a good beer and I wouldn't say it's a bad beer either. It has a great deal of hop influence but not bitter at all. It has good aroma. Golddiggie asked about the yeast influence and I can't notice it. To me it seems very neutral, and reading the WY description I would say it fits this yeast to a T. One thing I will say is that this yeast is highly flocculent, and produced a crystal clear beer. I always use whirfloc and isinglass with my beers and none of them were as clear as this beer turned out. I plan to use this yeast again next month and I’ll keep you posted on how it turns out. Cheers.

I just checked the kit recipe and it seems, at least to my eyes, a bit screwy. A quarter of an ounce of columbus @ 60 minutes for an OG of 1.056 and a crapload of cara/caramel type malts ? Yeah... no wonder there's no bitterness...

Something like 90% MO, 5% Crystal 60 and 5% sugar for a gravity of 1.035 and 30 IBU would do the yeast justice imho.

Back