wyeast 1388

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its the duvel yeast. Have a bottle of duvel, it tastes really like that. Quite belgian-y with a distinct pear ester.

I wouldnt use it in a RIS.

Sure, it'll work in the sense it will ferment. Would it be tasty? Not to me.

What flavor a does it contribute that you don't like about it.

I do have a yeast slurry of wlp500 from a brown ale I brewed a few weeks ago. 2L starter and use that?

I love it for strong belgians, belgian blonds and the like, its a delicious yeast.

For a RIS, personally I want a strong roast, a silky mouthfeel, and dark fruit, and maybe woody flavors. 1388 will likely dry the beer out too much, and give perfumey pear like flavors, and clove. Which would clash.

What flavor a does it contribute that you don't like about it.

I do have a yeast slurry of wlp500 from a brown ale I brewed a few weeks ago. 2L starter and use that?

It's definitely Belgian in flavor- same as the WLP500 in many ways.

The WLP500 has a definite "stone fruit" character, but the 1388 has phenols as well as esters. Neither would be to my liking in a roasty beer.

Okay thanks for the input, I think I will hold off on RIS until I can order some more style appropriate yeast.

Back