Wyeast 1388 Starting Slow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugsfull

Reaction score
I just brewed the Belgian Strong Golden Ale from NorthernBrewer. It was an Extract kit with wyeast 1388. OG - 1.071

I made a starter the night before (18 hrs) of 3 cups water and 6 tblsp DME.

I notice that my starter never really took off, no real ring or krausen. I agitated it frequently and it did have that light cloudy appearance. I pitched it.

My fermentation had a 24 hr lag time. I was expecting something a little more active with the starter and all.

After 96 hours I'm at 1.040. Is this a normal attenuation rate? Should I have a dry yeast back up?

So i stressed out the yeast and it may not fully attenuate? Or will time fix this. It does recommend 3 wkd in primary and 2 mos in secondary.

You'll probably be fine. A lot of Belgian breweries under-pitch (by American standards). It is hypothesized by Stan Hieronymus in Brew like a Monk that underpitching actually contributes to the flavor associated with Belgian ales. My experience with Belgian yeasts goes right along with that. Besides temperature control (higher temp=more Belgian characteristics), pitching rate is the other major contributor to Belgian yeast characteristics (under pitching=more Belgian characteristics). So I say relax and let your yeast have some privacy to do their thing. :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back