wyeast....1338....is....sssslloooowww.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
yeah. i've read about it, but never used it before. i'm making a schwarzbier, trying to be like a kostritzer clone, and can't lager, so i'm using wyeast 1338. wow. i'm not worried at all, because i'm long past that whole noob worried stage, but i can't believe how slow this fermentation is going. every other beer i've ever made, dunkel's, ipa's, wheats, ruby brown ales, etc. etc. with several other yeast strains, brands, etc. have usually been fast, violent fermentations. this thing is like the turtle in the race of the "hare and the tortiose". sloooow and steady. i'm sure my patience will pay off though. i can't wait to see how it tastes.:ban:

I used that one for a baltic maple porter I made a while back. That thing was ridiculously slow! It's also one of the those strains that NEVER seems to lose it's krauesen.

It makes good beer though. My porter turned out great.

oh now. here's my RDWHAHB post, lol.

it's been in the primary for 16 days now. and gravity appears to have stopped dropping at 1.022
at 1.024 (6days ago) i took it out of it's "cold bath" that i had it in, which kept it at around 67 degrees, and moved it straight onto the floor, to warm it up a bit, roused the yeast, and took another reading four days ago, and it was at 1.022 and took another reading last night and it was still at 1.022

no more krausen, hasn't been any for quite awhile. still bubbling about once every 30-45 seconds, as it has been for almost the entire time in fermentation. i think i'm gonna bite the bullet and pitch a bit of dry yeast into it to try to finish it out, unless of course, one of you fine individuals can talke me out of it. :)

just in case anyone cares (and i HATE it when i read problem/concern threads, that end unanswered!)

i DID pitch a packet of dry yeast, left it, and went to florida for 10 days, came back, and it had finished out at 1.012

it's been in the secondary for around two weeks now, and i'll be bottling it tonight.

:ban:

Back