Wyeast 1335 (British II) – What’s the strongest beer you’ve brewed with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RITiger41

Reaction score
I recently brewed a 10 gallon Surly Bender clone with Wyeast 1335. That was my first time using this yeast. I’ve washed and harvested approximately 1 qtr.+ of yeast slurry. With a huge abundance of health fresh yeast. I want to reuse it, and brew a 10.5-11.5% Russian Imperial Stout. However, I reviewed the stats on Wyeast website rating the yeast alcohol tolerance to 10%, and RIS was not one of the recommended styles. I’m disappointed, because would have to scale back on the strength, but also have considered brewing an Old Ale or English Barleywine instead.

I’ve also thought of making a starter using a higher alcohol tolerant yeast, then pitching that once fermentation begins to slow down.

So I would like to open a discussion on this yeast strain:
What have you brewed using Wyeast 1335?

What were your experiences?

What was the highest alcohol percentage you were able to achieve using Wyeast 1335?

Thanks.

I brewed a chocolate stout that went from 86 to 16, which is 9%. It carbed up just fine in under a week, so it wasn't maxed out. I don't know how much further it could have gone, but I used it in a 1.086 RIS that's still hanging out in secondary, even if Wyeast doesn't approve. I'd go ahead and try to use it up to 11% or so, and be prepared to add champagne yeast at bottling to make sure it carbs. In the event it finishes too sweet for you, add an active starter of US-05 to keep it fermenting.

Back