Wyeast 1099 Whitebread Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topher79

Reaction score
I brewed a milk stout this past Sunday morning and had a great krausen by Monday morning, however when I got home from work on Tuesday the krausen had dropped. The beer is fermenting at roughly 68* with variations to 66*. I did not make a starter, and aerated the wort well before pitching. I let the smack pack sit at room temp Saturday, but could not brew until Sunday. So I placed the pack in the fridge, then took it out early Sunday morning and let it get to room temp again. Pitching temp was 65-70*. My OG was 1.062. My question is: Is it normal for this yeast strain to have done the majority of the work that early on and have the krausen drop so quickly? I did warm the beer up yesterday, and a very slight krausen formed.

It could be the temp change. It could be a behavior unique to this yeast. Your best bet is to take gravity readings. That's going to take all the guess work out of it. Did you use the milk lactose stuff? Keep in mind that your final gravity will be a bit higher because of those unfermentable sugars.

I believe this is the liquid equivalent of Safeale-04? That yeast always take off like a bat outta hell with the krausen dropping within 2 or 3 days. That yeast has always been good to me in pales, stouts, porters and such.

Back