Wyeast 1098 British Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ungoliant

Reaction score
Anyone messed with this before? I brewed a Nut brown this weekend using 2 packets of 1098. I've never used it before.

Some minor technical difficulties with the brew ensued and these packets ended up sitting around with the smack packs popped for closer to 8 hours than the 4 as prescribed on the label. I assume the yeast is fine, considering the batch is happily bubbling away.

However, when I opened the packets they smelled like straight up baked farts and not yeast at all. Usually I get a nice bready, yeasty smell, and I've used a decent range of yeast. Is this supposed to be a funky smelling yeast? Manufacture date was 18 November 2015.

I don't recall if I've used this one. Note, however, that it's the same as S-04, so if you've ever used that one, or want to save a few bucks, or whatever, you can substitute. A lot of folks love the S-04 so I expect the 1098 to be no different.

Back