Wyeast 1056, still surprises me..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbury419

Reaction score
Dig this, I crafted my Coffee Stout last Sunday. Got a great efficiency of 94%, had my 1056 yeast in a 1 liter starter on the plate for 1 week (changed out 2x, had a yeast cake in the starter up to the 400ml line :rockin: ), and pitched my yeast at 60F and it's been fermenting at 63-65F since. On Monday before work I had a huuuuge krausen, by the time i went to bed on Monday the krausen dropped. Since then I haven't bothered it or looked at it, today i looked at it it appears to have a creamy, frothy mini krausen in the carboy. Which is weird looking, I've never had this happen to me before.

I had planned on tossing my coffee in this weekend, but i decided hold off until this "unusual" krausen falls...has anyone ever had this happen to them before?

DSCN0175.jpg

DSCN0176.jpg

6 days is not unheard of for a krausen. Take a sample, taste and measure.

I've got a pale ale going right now with 1056, currently on day 5. At the high point the krausen was about 4 fingers thick, but this morning when I checked on it I'd say it was just under 2 fingers, but the top looked kind of like the photos posted above. It kind of looked like soapy water, I thought it was odd, I've never seen a krausen look like that before. :confused:

Back