Wyeast 1028 london ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pattycakes223

Reaction score
So I'm pritty new to home brewing. I made my first all grain batch a brick warmer holiday ale I got from northerbrewer. I've been trying to stay in the middle of the recommended fermentation temps and with this yeast it's range is 60-72F. I'm from NH and it's already getting cold so I used a heating pad under my fermenter to bring up the temp. Got home today and it was at 89F. A week had past before I used the heating pad so I know most of the action was already done. It was only at that temp for one night. How bad did I mess this up?

If it was in the middle or low end of the recommended range for a week before it overheated, then it should still turn out alright. It is most important to control the temp in the first few days of active fermentation. After that, the negative effects of high temperatures aren't as dramatic.

How cool did the wort get? Unless it was significantly below the bottom of the ideal range, you probably didn't need the heating pad.

It got to about 57-58 in the first few days. I'm curious of what kind or if any off flavors might have been brought on by the higher temps.

pattycakes223 said:
It got to about 57-58 in the first few days. I'm curious of what kind or if any off flavors might have been brought on by the higher temps.
kind of hard to say, if active fermentation had already slowed its possible there won't be any

If you can drink it OP it's all good If not, it's not so good. I think you should be OK though.

Back