WY1010 - Dropoff in Activity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I brewed an American Wheat (5.25# Pilsner, 5.25# White Wheat, 0.5# Honey Malt, 0.5 oz Galena (60min), 0.75 oz each El Dorado and Nelson Sauvin whirlpool 20 min) on Saturday. Pitched the 1010 starter at around 70 and ended up needing a blowoff tube Sunday morning, probably the most violent fermentation I've seen. Temp got up to 80, so I wrapped a cold towel around it to slowly bring it down to 65. Now I'm holding the temp steady at 65 with an Inkbird and heat mats.

Thing is, yesterday there was hardly any activity and even less so today. Anyone else have a similar experience with 1010? This is my first time using this yeast and I'm just surprised to see such a rapid drop off in activity.

Wheat yeast can chug through a beer fast..hace you checked the gravity to see if it's done or are you basing that off of bubbles? It could be done (that would be fast, but not unheard of)

Haven't checked it just yet, just basing on air bubbles at this point. I'll check later this week and post back.

Back