Wtf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramptonbrewer

Reaction score
Just brewed an American pale ale. Gravity pre boil was 1040. 7.5 gallons
90 minute boil and she was 1066.

10# 2 row
2 crystal 40
1oz cascade- 60min
1oz cascade- 30
1oz cascade- 15
1oz citra- 5

Us05

Last edited:
The boil evaporated off some of the water concentrating the sugars and raising your OG.

No kidding. This going to be a pretty strong brew. Maybe I should have added a little bit of water and made another couple of gallons. Probably a little happier than I normally like too.

I use the dilution calculator in beersmith for that purpose. Using that, I can figure out how much top off water I need to add to my kettle to get to my desired OG prior to racking to my carboy and pitching yeast.

With all the money I spent on my equipment, what's another few bucks for beersmith?

They do have a 21 day free trial. I use the software and it has vastly improved my brewing.

So you ended up with 4.6 gallons after that. My advice is only boil for 60 minutes. The only reason to do a 90 minute boil is if it has Pils malt or it has 90 minute hop additions like DFH 90 minute.

I agree, first and last 90 minute boil. I was left with about 5 gallons of wort which will have about 3 inches of waste at the bottom.

Pitched yeast more than 12 hours ago. With all that sugar in there I thought this would take off pretty quick, so i attached a blow off hose even though there is a little extra room in my the fermenter. No sign of any fermentation yet.

Pitched yeast more than 12 hours ago. With all that sugar in there I thought this would take off pretty quick, so i attached a blow off hose even though there is a little extra room in my the fermenter. No sign of any fermentation yet.

did you pitch dry? at what temp? if you pitch one pack of US 05 dry into 1.066 wort at about 5 gallons

it will take a little time for the dry yeast to recover from being pitched into a higher gravity wort

all the best

S_M

I agree, first and last 90 minute boil. I was left with about 5 gallons of wort which will have about 3 inches of waste at the bottom.

Got a hop spider or a hop bag? That will help out on the next brew that has a lot of hop additions. Less crud going into the fermenter means a cleaner yeast cake to harvest too.

US-05 is a bit of a slow starter too, but it finishes up pretty clean.

If you planned a 90 min boil did you calculate & adjust your pre-boil volume based on the boil off rate for your equipment?
Was your ire-boil SG on target?
1.066 isn't that high a gravity & depending on what you targeted for your FG you'll have a 6.8-7.0 ABV. Not out of bounds unless you had planned a session beer.

No kidding. This going to be a pretty strong brew. Maybe I should have added a little bit of water and made another couple of gallons. Probably a little happier than I normally like too.

I always have a case of gallon sized bottled water for this specific occasion. :tank:

Nope. It is not unheard of to take up to 72 hours to see signs of active fermentation.

Damn lids. Checked gravity to see if anything was going on. It had dropped 25 points so I tried a different lid with a betternseal and airlock was going a million miles an hour. Time to toss that lid. All the c02 was getting out at the lid and didn't even get to the airlock.

Damn lids. Checked gravity to see if anything was going on. It had dropped 25 points so I tried a different lid with a betternseal and airlock was going a million miles an hour. Time to toss that lid. All the c02 was getting out at the lid and didn't even get to the airlock.

and so many claim the lids never leak on the plastic pail fermentors.... I had the same issue and went to better bottles.. now that I have a stainless conical I hate using the carboys and better bottles... this hobby is costing me a fortune :)

fyi another thing that can help the yeast is airating the wort when putting it in the fermentor more oxyen at this point really makes a huge difference.

just purchased one of those tools they use to de-gas wine. I should be able to oxygenate my brews very well and very quickly from now on. This should help future brews ferment a little quicker. That and the fact that i threw away the crappy lid.

Pretty Funny! after all that worry about whether it was actually fermenting or not The US 05 did a great job of fermenting this brew as it always has for me. Five days and Gravity is at 1010. OG was 1068. Brewed May 9th. and sample tasted a little too hoppy for my tastes, but a month or so in the keg and this will be a great beer. This is an Awesome hobby.:)

Back