WTF: Help me understand this recent cultural phenomena

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beerthoven said:
You don't have to pay a tax to puke in Sweden, too, do ya? :

:D Actually, that's one of the things that are usually fee of charge. I'm working on it...:drunk: :mug: .

Just to amuse you, when I was a student my pal had a little "accident" on a brewpub. Sure enough the bartender got really pissed and demanded my friend should pay a fee for puking all over the bar(!). My friend *insisted* on a reciept and a hand written reciept for "one big pile of puke" is now framed and hanging on the wall of his "poorhouse" fraternety (it cost him $70).

H

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
I blame it all on ipods.

The other day while snowboarding my wife was hit by a soccer mom skier who was on the cellphone while skiing and last year I got plowed by a girl skiing while programming her ipod!

Henrik said:
:D Actually, that's one of the things that are usually fee of charge. I'm working on it...:drunk: :mug: .

Just to amuse you, when I was a student my pal had a little "accident" on a brewpub. Sure enough the bartender got really pissed and demanded my friend should pay a fee for puking all over the bar(!). My friend *insisted* on a reciept and a hand written reciept for "one big pile of puke" is now framed and hanging on the wall of his "poorhouse" fraternety (it cost him $70).

H

That's hilarious! I was a student in Vienna for a while and one of my (Austrian) buddies puked on the tram after a night out. The tram driver demanded 100 Schillings as a cleaning "fee". We just laughed and ran away. :p

sTango said:
WTF is up with humanity? I need to move to a place where there are no people, or at least there are not most people.....a few thousand spread out nice and far would be fine.

I'm tired of people and their religion or lack of religion. Their cultures, social norms, wars, poverty, diseases, famines, elections, arguments, brat children, stupid cars, taxes, money, electronics, jobs, beliefs and organic everything really piss me off.

I just want a spread of land where I can grow my own food, and enough brewing supplies for the rest of my life. :mug:

Sounds like you need to move to northern saskatchewan!

Special Ed said:
WTF is up with celebrities giving their opinions on everything related to science, medicine, politics, etc? ******* f***ing journalists asking for their opinions? Who f***ing cares what Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Whoopie Goldberg, or any other dipsh*t that pretends for a living, thinks of anything!

I used to like Chuck Norris, but I don't give a rat's ass who he is voting for or why!

Lewis Black (one of the greatest topical comics ever IMO) talks about how 3 days after 911 the NYtimes (or one of those big papers) phpned him to ask his oppionion on the attack. He's like "WTF? I'm chucky the clown here. Why don't you ask people who KNOW SH*T???"

Trodd said:
WTF is up with not letting kids play dodge ball in school.....That is how you breed serial killers.

I'm suprised that bringing a dodge ball ball to school isn't grounds for expulsion in todays fracked up enviroment.

I'd like to see, "Beat the Crap Out of the Bullies Day" instituted once or twice a year in all schools. Probably be a hell of a lot less school shootings that way.

WOP31 said:
WTF is with the UGG Boots, I see the dam things everywhere, and they are F***K**G UGGly! I live in a college town and you would think that they give those damn things away for free. For some reason just seeing those boots makes me want to hack off the persons legs with a machete.

They used to come in just the standard UGG style. But now they come in all sorts of uggly, furry, leather laced styles. I think what is the most iritating is seeing people wearing these with shorts! (and you may think that these are strickly for women, no my friend I see many a man, & I use that term loosly, wearing them too) I will, though it goes against everything that I stand for, post a picture of said boots.

Sorry if anyone out there owns and proudly wears these things I meant no personal attack on you or your charactor, I mean you must be, at least a little cool you are on a homebrew forum, Right?
Here is the classic UGG Boot, the devil that started it all.

5800_Black.jpg

Here is what must be one of the UGGliest styles.

5302_Natural.jpg

Thank you for starting this thread and giving me a place to rant about this, it has been building up for a while and i needed to get that out.

edit: for some reason it posted links instead of pictures, I screwed up somewhere,(god i am always screwing up some mundane detail! I wouldn't call this mundane michael!) I got to get to work I will try to sort this out later.

My young son noticed a pair of those GD boots on a woman and says "Look how furry her legs are, Dad." She heard us as well as everyone in the room. It was awsome!!

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Lewis Black (one of the greatest topical comics ever IMO) talks about how 3 days after 911 the NYtimes (or one of those big papers) phpned him to ask his oppionion on the attack. He's like "WTF? I'm chucky the clown here. Why don't you ask people who KNOW SH*T???"

Lewis Black rocks :rockin:

GaryA said:
Going out on limb Im going to say because when the make an ATM they make them all the same. They don't make drive up, walk up, and in store ATM's and stack them in different places.

However if you find a drivers test in brail now you have something to question. :fro:

I saw a sign at the DMV that said, "Do you have trouble reading? Ask for assistance." I thought, "if the answer to that question is , 'yes', will they be able to read the sign?"

Cheesefood said:
WTF is up with people who shop at Whole Foods? Do they shop there just so that they can bring that GD bag to work with their lunch in it? Yeah, you shop at Whole Foods. Big F'n deal! Am I supposed to think you're enviromentally responsible? Am I supposed to think you're some sort of holistic model of health?

You live in a friggin over-crowded, heavily polluted city and you drive and SUV. Somehow buying a $5.00 chicken breast is supposed to make you a pure? Get a smaller car and move to somewhere less polluted, ya friggin pretentious pricklette!

I shop there almost daily. Half of my brewing supplies come from whole foods. They have some of the best quality produce, grain, local raw honey and meat available in large urban areas without having to trek halfway across the metro area to go to a separate boutique store for each ingredient.

WTF is up with judging someone based on where they get their groceries? UGG boots make people look like idiots. Whole Foods bags just make them look like they might have a little more disposable income than the average person. (I'm an academic working for a non-profit, but I shop smart and buy the store brand and the meat that's on sale and make it through the checkout without selling any major organs.)

PsiWulf7 said:
WTF is up with judging someone based on where they get their groceries? UGG boots make people look like idiots. Whole Foods bags just make them look like they might have a little more disposable income than the average person. (I'm an academic working for a non-profit, but I shop smart and buy the store brand and the meat that's on sale and make it through the checkout without selling any major organs.)

I think you're drastically underselling the smug factor here.

PsiWulf7 said:
Half of my brewing supplies come from whole foods. They have some of the best quality produce, grain, local raw honey and meat available in large urban areas without having to trek halfway across ...

I am with Psi on this.
I worked briefly at Whole Foods, and their suppliers are scrutinized a good deal. Some of the stuff is hyped, for sure, but a good part is quite real (some of the bread is bogus.. frozen).
The corporate entity's behavior is another thing though... and it is freaking retail, anyway, a sick environment no matter what.

A jackass, or a normal person can both shop there for variety of reasons...

I hate it when you pull away from the drive thru and realize that you were the polite one, they don't even say thank you. I have noticed this trend getting worse in the past 10 years or so. Now it is showing up in places like Home Depot yesterday. I guess I am sensitive to it because I was raised to say please, thank you, yes/no sir/mam. However this is the south and it is called customer service you ungrateful bastard.

SWMBO and I went through a Taco Bell drive through a couple months ago and not only did they get the order wrong and not say any pleasantries but the 16 year old bastard running the window literally threw the change in SWMBO's face. It was all I could do to keep from pummeling the **** outta that kid. Luckily the manager saw me coming in the door and talked me down. We got a free meal, but I was still fuming when we left.

WTF is up with people a stop lights, or stop signs, leaving over a car length of space in front of them? You knw when there are lots of cars at an intersection and traffic is backing up to the next light yet these people insist on at least a car length of space in front of them. This is STOPPED traffic. If people would pull up to the car in front of them more people could get through the light and it wouldn't back up so far and cause problems.

I can't figure this out. I've only seen this in the past couple of years. The two possible explanations I can come up with are: 1 - this way when the light turns green, they can immediately start to move since they don't have to wait until the car in front of them moves. - or - 2 - Kids are actually being taught to do this in Drivers Ed. It does seem to me that I see more younger drivers doing this - but not exclusively.

Oh, and turn lanes. Don't slow down in the thru lanes and then pull into the turn lane. Pull into them and THEN slow down. They are supposed to help keep traffic moving slowly. And then pull into them ALL the way, not halfway so the thru traffic has to wait.

And. On the highway, please wait until you are on the off ramp to slow down. They are designed to be taken at full speed with plenty of time to slow down. There are plenty of exceptions to this, like in big cities, but those typically alert you with a speed limit warning. Those I don't mind, but with a real long exit ramp you don't need to slow down on the highway.

Explanation #1 Leaving space in front of your vehicle allows you to start moving sooner and increases the total number of cars getting through the green light. This was demonstrated back in the late '60s. Interesting that it is finally getting taught.

#3 Helps reduce the chances of getting double-ended in a crash.

david_42 said:
Explanation #1 Leaving space in front of your vehicle allows you to start moving sooner and increases the total number of cars getting through the green light. This was demonstrated back in the late '60s. Interesting that it is finally getting taught.

#3 Helps reduce the chances of getting double-ended in a crash.

That's not true in New Jersey. I envy drivers there. At a stoplight, when the light turns green, everybody goes at the same time. Sure there's only 6 inches between you and the car in front of you as traffic tops 80mph on surface streets, but 100 people get through that light;)

I always leave enough space between me and the person in front of me so that if I get rear-ended, I wont hit the person in front. I sit back far enough to see the full back bumper which leaves about 5 ft of cushion space.

As for the individuals that are first in line and choose to leave a car's length of space from the line.......I dont have an answer for that.

HELP ME UNDERSTAND MISS MAZDA DRIVER, WHY:

1. you tailgate me in hopes that I will go faster when I am behind a tractor trailer who clearly can't go any faster?

2. you fail to under the laws of physics and why a fully loaded tractor trailer can only go uphill so fast....

3. you then found the need to pass me when clearly I was leaving 1 car length between me and the trailer of the truck?

4. you fail to understand the GIANT yellow stickers on the trailer that read, "IF YOU CAN'T SEE MY MIRRORS I CAN'T SEE YOU"!

5. you felt the need to let the person pulling out of Hess get in front of you, knowing that you were just going to ride their a$$ as well? (why be so kind, why not just just pulling forward so they couldn't pull out).

it will never cease to amaze me how people think a tractor trailer can rocket up a steep incline, or how they think a tractor trailer can just stop on a dime, or how when they run into the back of a tractor trailer how the driver doesn't even notice... it will never cease to amaze me the amount of tractor trailer involved accidents when people decide to be a jackarse and put themselves right in danger by driving in the tractor trailers blind spots...

i think everyone should have to drive a tractor trailer just so that they can see they aren't as quick and as nimble as they think.

BraeHaus said:
HELP ME UNDERSTAND MISS MAZDA DRIVER, WHY:

1. you tailgate me in hopes that I will go faster when I am behind a tractor trailer who clearly can't go any faster?

I found a trick that seems to work for tailgaters. No, its not stomp on the brakes or speed up or give them the_bird. Just wave at them nicely in the rear-view mirror, smile and say "Hi, how are you today? I'm not going to go any faster!". Make eye-contact if you can.

I'm not sure why this works, but it does. I've only done this a handful of times, but each time the tailgater backed off. I think it lets them know that they are in your space, and that makes them uncomfortable. Making eye contact and waving is also a personal thing, and people are less likely to be a$$holes when its personal.

I just turn my blinker on at every street and watch them get infuriated every time I don't turn. I know the freakin' Pats are on and they need to go slug some BMC but come on...

On the other hand, if it appears that they really need to go to the bathroom... let 'em by... there are subtleties that will clue you in.

Off to try the new Harpoon 100BBL

Wtf is with all the yuppies in the NYC area who took it upon themselves to adopt Stella Artois as their new trendy beer?

1. I am not impressed with the stuff at all.
2. They just call it "Stella" drives me F'in nuts.
3. If you got a group of people to shave half their head and walk around stating its the new Manhattan style, half of new york would be walking around like that.

This could easily splinter off into WTF is with yuppies.

shafferpilot said:
That's not true in New Jersey. I envy drivers there. At a stoplight, when the light turns green, everybody goes at the same time. Sure there's only 6 inches between you and the car in front of you as traffic tops 80mph on surface streets, but 100 people get through that light;)

..............Are you really a pilot?;) Maybe airplanes work that way, but cars don't.
The only time to pack it in is if the line is so long that people way back will be stuck out in traffic, and even then start up suffers. You can't know how fast the jerk in front of you will go until he has gone at least five feet.

To blindly fly 6 inches off of his buimper is suicidal fly boy!;)

You can clearly see by my smilies that this is all in good fun, but the truth is that I am really BAD at punctuation and I want to leave a daMN SEMI-COLON AND AN INDEPENDANT PARETHESI BUT IT WON'T FARGING LET ME!!!!!!!!!

You'd have to experience Jersey before you can judge. If you can't keep up, pull over cause you are the one we are complaining about, old man ;)

see i used a smiley so it's ok, right?

kush said:
As for the individuals that are first in line and choose to leave a car's length of space from the line.......I dont have an answer for that.
We were taught to stop far enough away that we could still see asphalt behind the back wheel of the person in front or see both lines of the crosswalk. The distance increases as the driver's height decreases.

Wild

shafferpilot said:
You'd have to experience Jersey before you can judge. If you can't keep up, pull over cause you are the one we are complaining about, old man ;)

see i used a smiley so it's ok, right?

jersey driver will eff you up... i always just end up getting out of their way.

BraeHaus said:
i think everyone should have to drive a tractor trailer just so that they can see they aren't as quick and as nimble as they think.

Amen to this! I've driven to the West Coast and back with all of our belongings in a 24' truck pulling a car on a trailer. Coming back East, we were in the mountains out West coming down a hill at a good clip and my wife asked me if the truck had airbags. I said to her, "see that little car in front of us? That's our airbag!"

I'll offer a tip here for driving with trucks around in the mountains. When you pass a truck at the top of a hill, DON'T pull back in front of them. Stay to the left as they will eventually get up a pretty good head of steam going down the hill, and there is a good chance they will pass you. Let them do it on your right so they don't have to change lanes. I refer to them as jugernauts - you don't want to be in their way.

Ok, this one is not so much that I don't get it, more like "why now?":

Why did the punk rock /gothabilly look suddenly become so popular lately? I was representing the rockabilly/punk style for better than a DECADE and I was a social outcast because of it! You wouldn't believe the funny looks I got, how hard it was to make friends and my love life was a disgrace.

Now that I am married and settled down, all of a sudden there are HOT girls everywhere I look; rockin' the two-tone hair and pin-up style. I mean, I'm happy- SWMBO is hot, too, but still... WTF, where were all 'yall EIGHT YEARS AGO when I was so lonely and horny?

My libido has a serious grudge with pop-culture!

hardly a cultural phenomenon, but here's one that chaps my a$$. Plus it nearly got me into a nasty wreck this morning and I'm still mad.

If you drive a black, white, silver, pale blue, light brown, or grey car TURN ON YOUR DAMN HEADLIGHTS WHEN IT'S SNOWING AND DARK!!! That goes the same for when it's raining, or heck even when it's just really cloudy. We can't see you!!! Your car blends right into the background!

jarrid said:
Ok, this one is not so much that I don't get it, more like "why now?":

Why did the punk rock /gothabilly look suddenly become so popular lately? I was representing the rockabilly/punk style for better than a DECADE and I was a social outcast because of it! You wouldn't believe the funny looks I got, how hard it was to make friends and my love life was a disgrace.

Now that I am married and settled down, all of a sudden there are HOT girls everywhere I look; rockin' the two-tone hair and pin-up style. I mean, I'm happy- SWMBO is hot, too, but still... WTF, where were all 'yall EIGHT YEARS AGO when I was so lonely and horny?

My libido has a serious grudge with pop-culture!

Yeah I know.... I was pretty "goth" in the 80's only we called it punk or new wave...to the same lovelife disgrace that you suffered...I would have killed to have had a GF like the typical prom dates high schoolers have nowadays.

Suicide%20Girls%20Gothic%20Girl%2009%20-%20Beautifull%20Goth%20(1).jpg

we're old, dude, but our hearts are still young!:rockin:

shafferpilot said:
hardly a cultural phenomenon, but here's one that chaps my a$$. Plus it nearly got me into a nasty wreck this morning and I'm still mad.

If you drive a black, white, silver, pale blue, light brown, or grey car TURN ON YOUR DAMN HEADLIGHTS WHEN IT'S SNOWING AND DARK!!! That goes the same for when it's raining, or heck even when it's just really cloudy. We can't see you!!! Your car blends right into the background!

Amen brother.

People don't understand that headlights don't only serve the purpose of allowing the driver to see at night. They are also there to allow others to see you. A simple concept, but for some reason folks just don't get it.

Revvy: yeah, that's what I'm talking about.... GRRRR ....RRRRR ...URRRRRR!

MikeFlynn74 said:
Kilted Brewer

On the opposite side of that-

TURN YOUR MOTHER****ING HIGH BEAMS OFF!

And use your F#$&*@g turn signals.....

All you have to do is move your finger one inch...how lazy do you have to be to not move your finger one inch.

Maryland people do not turn on head lights during rain, snow or fog. We still think it will limit the life of of our head lights. - OK, NOT ALL OF US - Just sayin

Revvy, very nice picture. I wish was a vampire... or some other crazy thing. :)

Back