WTF: Help me understand this recent cultural phenomena

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm calling this thread, "WTF: Help me understand this recent cultural phenomena" I have a couple in mind. I'll start off with one, but let's see where this thread ends up as frequent hi-jacks are welcome provide the WTF element remains in tact.

So, at the risk of offending you here goes.

WTF is with the following auto decal:

"In Loving Memory of "
<insert name here>
<insert dates here>

So many questions here.

1) What is the memorial that is, "In Memory"? Is it the auto? The rear windshield? Is it the decal itself?

2) Was this auto somehow involved in the tragedy?

3) Am I supposed to bow my head or acknowlege your greif when I pass you?

4) Do you think this absolves you when you cut me off? Am I supposed to cut you some slack?

5) Is the auto the final resting place for the named individual?

6) Will this trend leap to other forms of transportation, such as an RV or a bicycle or boat? What about public transportation?

7) Will this trend expand to other forms of personal tragedy such as

"My wife / husband"
<insert name here>
"left me for another man / woman on"
<insert date here>

8) If I know the deceased, may I show my respects by adding decal flowers?

In summary: What exactly is anyone supposed to do with this information?

And WTF is up with selling said decal and not letting me right click and lift the Mofo'n image so I can post it here.

http://www.customlabels4u.com/decals-memory.htm

You've copyrighted a death decal? I need my own original idea to become a death merchant like you- owner of customlabels4u?

Here ya go I highjacked it for you, But I have no explination of why this is going on.

WTF is with the UGG Boots, I see the dam things everywhere, and they are F***K**G UGGly! I live in a college town and you would think that they give those damn things away for free. For some reason just seeing those boots makes me want to hack off the persons legs with a machete.

They used to come in just the standard UGG style. But now they come in all sorts of uggly, furry, leather laced styles. I think what is the most iritating is seeing people wearing these with shorts! (and you may think that these are strickly for women, no my friend I see many a man, & I use that term loosly, wearing them too) I will, though it goes against everything that I stand for, post a picture of said boots.

Sorry if anyone out there owns and proudly wears these things I meant no personal attack on you or your charactor, I mean you must be, at least a little cool you are on a homebrew forum, Right?

Here is the classic UGG Boot, the devil that started it all.

5800_Black.jpg

Here is what must be one of the UGGliest styles.

5302_Natural.jpg

Thank you for starting this thread and giving me a place to rant about this, it has been building up for a while and i needed to get that out.

edit: for some reason it posted links instead of pictures, I screwed up somewhere,(god i am always screwing up some mundane detail! I wouldn't call this mundane michael!) I got to get to work I will try to sort this out later.

WTF is up with people who lead phenonally uninteresting lives feeling the need to blog? Somehow, I came across this one day...

http://unknowntrekkie.blogspot.com/index.html

Some random Star Trek fan, with no friends (noticed ZERO comments on every post), with absolutely no insight to provide or any wit in sight... I was stunned by its banality... I mean, WTF, dude, why bother blogging if you have nothing of interest to add and no one is listening, anyway...

It's so.... pathetic. :(

the_bird said:
WTF is up with people who lead phenonally uninteresting lives feeling the need to blog? Somehow, I came across this one day...

http://unknowntrekkie.blogspot.com/index.html

Some random Star Trek fan, with no friends (noticed ZERO comments on every post), with absolutely no insight to provide or any wit in sight... I was stunned by its banality... I mean, WTF, dude, why bother blogging if you have nothing of interest to add and no one is listening, anyway...

It's so.... pathetic. :(

I knew a kid in college who did that. He ran his own site and posted his thoughts on every subject imaginable, with no comments ever made to any of his posts. Whatever happened to internal monologue?

I've got one! I work with older people who are mostly homebound. They are great, and know that they are mortal and at the end of their lives for the most part. Their families, however, can't accept it sometimes. So, I'm reading my client's obituary, and it says something like, "Mrs. Smith, age 95, died unexpectedly yesterday afternoon."

Unexpectedly?????? She was 95 for God's sake. Did you expect her to live to 120? I think they meant "suddenly" or something, since she wasn't really sick with anything specific at the time. But unexpectedly means someone who was 30 and had a heart attack, not 95. Geez.

Actually, that's more of a pet peeve than a cultural phenomena. Sorry. Never mind.

wop31 said:
WTF is with the UGG Boots, I see the dam things everywhere, and they are F***K**G UGGly! I live in a college town and you would think that they give those damn things away for free. For some reason just seeing those boots makes me want to hack off the persons legs with a machete.

They used to come in just the standard UGG style. But now they come in all sorts of uggly, furry, leather laced styles. I think what is the most iritating is seeing people wearing these with shorts! (and you may think that these are strickly for women, no my friend I see many a man, & I use that term loosly, wearing them too) I will, though it goes against everything that I stand for, post a picture of said boots.

Sorry if anyone out there owns and proudly wears these things I meant no personal attack on you or your charactor, I mean you must be, at least a little cool you are on a homebrew forum, Right?

Here is the classic UGG Boot, the devil that started it all.

getImage

Here is what must be one of the UGGliest styles.

getImage

Thank you for starting this thread and giving me a place to rant about this, it has been building up for a while and i needed to get that out.

edit: for some reason it posted links instead of pictures, I screwed up somewhere,(god i am always screwing up some mundane detail! I wouldn't call this mundane michael!) I got to get to work I will try to sort this out later.

I see loads of girls walkin round in those things.. i thought they were a joke, but no! there actually fashion

just goes to show ppl will follow fashion no matter how stupid they look!

now everytime i see them i start laughing very loudly in the hope they will take a hint

WTF is up with fat chicks wearing skinny chicks clothes. They popping out all over like the Michelin Man. Sheesh.

WTF is up with people who shop at Whole Foods? Do they shop there just so that they can bring that GD bag to work with their lunch in it? Yeah, you shop at Whole Foods. Big F'n deal! Am I supposed to think you're enviromentally responsible? Am I supposed to think you're some sort of holistic model of health?

You live in a friggin over-crowded, heavily polluted city and you drive and SUV. Somehow buying a $5.00 chicken breast is supposed to make you a pure? Get a smaller car and move to somewhere less polluted, ya friggin pretentious pricklette!

This is an excellent place to vent and rant, thanks ollllllllllllllo. To expand on your issue, I personally can't stand the NASCAR fans that have memorials to Earnhardt on the back of their cars as if they knew him personally. I'll admit I don't watch NASCAR, but from the people I work with (it's very common here) he was a pr!ck to his fans. And they want to memorialize him?

WTF is up with people backing into a parking spot? It's harder to back into that spot than it is to back out of it. I noticed cop wanna-bes would do it, but now it seems like everyone and their brother is backing into parking spaces. Just pull your damn car into the spot and get out of my effing way.

I feel better now.

Flyin' Lion said:
WTF is up with people backing into a parking spot? It's harder to back into that spot than it is to back out of it. I noticed cop wanna-bes would do it, but now it seems like everyone and their brother is backing into parking spaces. Just pull your damn car into the spot and get out of my effing way.

I feel better now.

IN the Chicago area, backing into a parking spot (in a forest preserve) has a very well understood significance. Don't know if you guys have it in your area or not, but here it's usually done by guys who are in their cars alone. It means "I'm looking for hot forest preserve action".

Cheesefood said:
IN the Chicago area, backing into a parking spot (in a forest preserve) has a very well understood significance. Don't know if you guys have it in your area or not, but here it's usually done by guys who are in their cars alone. It means "I'm looking for hot forest preserve action".

Why I am I not surprised that you would be aware of these subtleties?

Can you enlighten us on what it means when someone taps their foot three times in the stall of a JC Penney's restroom? :rolleyes:

the_bird said:
Why I am I not surprised that you would be aware of these subtleties?

Can you enlighten us on what it means when someone taps their foot three times in the stall of a JC Penney's restroom? :rolleyes:

It means that Bird and Orpheus are trying on pants.

Flyin' Lion said:
To expand on your issue, I personally can't stand the NASCAR fans that have memorials to Earnhardt on the back of their cars as if they knew him personally. I'll admit I don't watch NASCAR, but from the people I work with (it's very common here) he was a pr!ck to his fans. And they want to memorialize him?

Yes, I need to get on the, "In loving Memory of Ty Cobb" decals going.

WTF is up with people who think they need to control everyone else? recently atvs have been banned around the area (rural area), we still can only buy beer at a bar, I don't know the list goes on.

Is being able to buy beer at a grocery store really going to have any impact on drinking related problems? If anything I'd think the fact you have to buy a full case would lead to more drinking.

WTF is up with people who think they need to control everyone else? recently atvs have been banned around the area (rural area), we still can only buy beer at a bar, I don't know the list goes on.

You live in a place called Mechanicsburg, and you can't ride four wheelers anywhere you want to? that sucks.

Not a cultural phenomena but to expand on the parking lot thing. WTF is it with people that wait for 5 minutes for someone else to pack their **** into the car to get that one space showing no disregard for the 5 other cars waiting for them to get the frick out of the way. Look, over to the right two spots up is another open space!

WTF is with the pop-Christian decals on the backs of cars (like 5 fish on the minivan or Calvin on his knees . . .). I have noticed that these people are more likely to cut in front of me and hit their brakes. I can only conclude they are trying to give me a religious experience.

WTF is it with Walmart and all the motorized scooter/cart shoppers? I'm thinking 25% need them, 75% need to get the f#ck off of them and walk. These are definitely the same people waiting for that close parking space.

B000I1WGEO.01-
B000I1WGEO.01-
scooterVille.jpg

wop31 said:
You live in a place called Mechanicsburg, and you can't ride four wheelers anywhere you want to? that sucks.

yeah, you'll love this, my brother lives in Paradise township and his is where the ban actually is. It is pretty much sweeping through PA. What I really don't get is at the township meeting 3 people where there to complain about 1 property. There were over 100 people at the meeting against it. They still passed it.

I love this thread.

WTF is up with fat people being able to collect disability now? I think anyone who is on Disability for weight should be banned from any fast food restaurant and should have a food budget. If we are paying them for being fat we should be able to determine what and how much they eat. Did anyone see "I eat 33000 calories a day" that dude spent $15,000 a year on Snickers.

WTF is with girls wearing tight pants under skirts? Anyone else ever see this its ugly as sin and defeats the purpose of showing skin. thanks a lot who ever came up with that idea.

So far loving everything everyone is saying. But how about this?

WHAT'S UP WITH HONDA'S WITH FART CANS?

Seriously, spend some time and tune your car, don't just put an oversized exhaust on it for the sound and claim performance when it is straining the engine. And enough with the SPOILERS from hell. It's FWD, a spoiler does NOTHING.

I am just sick of hearing that crap drive by every five minutes.

Klainmeister said:
Seriously, spend some time and tune your car, don't just put an oversized exhaust on it for the sound and claim performance when it is straining the engine. And enough with the SPOILERS from hell. It's FWD, a spoiler does NOTHING.

But they look/sound fast sitting still....thats the point isn't it? then its funny how stupid they look when they start to move!!!!!HAHA what idiots!!!!

desertBrew said:
These only look good on hot nordic blonde chicks who are naked.

I dig those boots on short chicks. Pictures doesn't do it justice for short chicks. On a short chick, that style really accentuates their cute littleness, imo. But yeah, otherwise, they're kind of ugly.

Todd said:
Is being able to buy beer at a grocery store really going to have any impact on drinking related problems? If anything I'd think the fact you have to buy a full case would lead to more drinking.

WTF is up with MADD being against selling alcohol in grocery and convenience stores in PA? If a drunk driver is on his way to pick up some booze, wouldn't you rather he drove 1 mile than 10 miles? With PA being fourth in the nation in alcohol-related "incidents," it seems clear that availability is *not* the issue.

wop31 said:

Never underestimate the retardedness or Liberal, hippies or people who live in IL but claim Iowa

WTF is with Madd's campaign against drinking, period? I am so sick of rights being away. Enforce the laws we have. I want to start a new group, DAMM, drinkers against mad mothers.

I am all against drunk driving. My brother was killed by one. But don't try to take my beer from me lady!

Todd said:

Never underestimate the need for Republicans and democrats to maintain a Nanny State. Dependency breeds dependency and allows them to maintain power in their hands instead of in the hands of the people

Oooh, I've got one: WTF is with famous women looking like they live in a famine-stricken country? Eat a sammich (and get me one while you're at it).

WTF is up with hot women not throwing money at me? Every time I make eye contact with a hottie, she's like "No fat guy, I'm not going to throw large stacks of money at you." And what's up with rich folks having more money than me? I might be poor, but at least I don't drive a fancy car!

Latest posts

Back