Wrote this in tribute to my son and all Marines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan

I’m not wrong. I’m left handwriting
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if this belongs on drunken ramblings.
It's just my go to thread when I don't know where else to post.

Little tribute coming, I'll actually be quoting from a handbook I received at my son's graduation from Marine Corp's basic training. I realize that a lot of PR went into this for the public, however, I believe in Marines. I've known a few, there is a tight bond that holds MARINES together. They are truly some of USA's greatest men and women. IMEO.

(Hey, I'm not cutting down any other service, just admiring the Marine Corps. If you disagree write your own post)

But I do believe whole heartedly in our armed forces, and even though I'm a Navy man.. the Marines, I respect most of all for who they are and their commitment made to each other, to the USA and for their sacrifices!

Oh wait, I might need to write it all? Thought I found a single paragraph that explained.. Now looking the book over again.. let me just try to find a few words. Well, they won't be just a few words.

Quote:
From the "Basic Marine Graduation Ceremony" hand book, United States Marine Corps.

We believe that new Marines need to be forged in a furnace of shared hardship, mutual commitment, and teamwork.. This common, intense experience creates bonds of comradeship and cohesion so strong that Marines will refuse to let each other down. This forging of character, discipline, and fitness will continue to be the basis upon which we make Marines.

Holding on to the high character of the Marines of the past, we look for ways to inculcate the strong values that have become synonymous with the Marine Corps.
This isn't the 1960's.

/rant
Viet Nam Vets don't take offense. You served our country well and got **** on for it. Thank you for what you did!

Whether you volunteered or were drafted you served our country well. Thank you!

To bad America didn't see what you did well and the media, thank you effing Jane Fonda, you biatch! That woman skewed the sacrifices you guys made. I ride with some of you now in the Patriot Guard. Thank you so much for your sacrifices. rant\

The draft or go to jail or go join the service does not apply now. Marines are very selective in who they accept, most all services are these days. Marines a bit tougher than others.

U.S. Marine Corps Core Values as written in the handbook given at the graduation. More PR work. I tried writing this without the loftiness.. Hell why should I?

Here are the Marines' core values explained in that little handbook! Semper Fi from a Navy guy.

Quote:
U.S. MARINE CORPS CORE VALUES
Quote:
Generations after generation of American men and women have given special meaning to the title United States Marine. These men and women live by a set of Core Values, which form the bedrock of their character. Core Values give Marines strength and regulate their behavior; they bind the Marine Corps into a total force than can meet any challenge... and succeed!

HONOR
Honor guides Marines to exemplify the ultimate in ethical and more behavior; to never lie, cheat or steal; to abide by and uncompromising code of integrity; and to respect human dignity. It is a the quality of maturity, dedication, trust and dependability that compels Marines to act responsibly; to hold themsmeslves and ech other accountable for their actions; and to full-fill their obligations.

COURAGE
Courage is the mental, moral and physical strength ingrained in Marines. It carries them through the challenges of combat and helps them overcome fear. Likewise, it is the inner strength that enables a Marine to do what is right; to adhere to a higher standard of personal conduct; and to make tough decisions under stress and pressure.

COMMITMENT
Commitment is the spirit of selfless determination and dedication found in Marines. it leads leads to the highest order of discipline for individual units. It is the ingredient that enables 24-hour a day dedication to Corps and country. It inspires the unrelenting determination to achieve a highest standard of excellence in every endeavor.

Thank you to our armed forces. May you be successful and come back to us.

God bless you for doing what you do and keeping us free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay... so I spent close to three decades in the USN. I have a huge respect for both the Navy and the Marine Corps.

I should and will make a post to my Navy.

Even if you live around a Navy base you have no idea what a life in the Navy is like. Going to sea is part of your life, whether in war or peacetime you will be gone away at leat six months out of the year. LIfe on a ship isn't so bad, there is a lot of work to be done, you always have a bed to sleep in.
/rant on. But JHC the Navy has become so PC. I'm sure all the services have, I'm just famliar with the USN. Sometimes I think that is a good thing, not sure, absolutely wouldn't want my daughters to join the navy if it was still 1983. Nearly 30 years later a lot has changed. Anybody curious about the Navy I joined can PM me.

Unless you are in the Navy or USMC for quit awhile, you won't know that the Navy got their core values from the Marine Corps. We did, it's a fact.

I'm not slamming the Navy. In it are many great people. I'm familiar with the aviation community and there are many great people in it. The pilots are nothing less then spectacular. Landing a jet on a runway is impressive.. Landing a jet on a few hundred yards in the middle of the night on a pitching ocean is completely amazing as are the techs that keep those Navy jets in pristine condition. Believe me, those guys spent countless hours maintaining the million dollar jets and the men and women flying them safe.

Our core values in the Navy are same as the Marines. Courage, Honor and Commitment.

They give us guidance.

Here's to all you guys I ever served with over the last 20+ years.

From my heart... Thankyou so very much.

Got to play the "company songs". Tis a beautiful mix of Anchors Aweigh and the Halls of Montezuma and another melody in there. Truly beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its so interesting to me how the Marine Corps has been utilized over time. There was a time when the Marine's sole function was in making sure the crew of ships didnt kill their Captain. I dont know if this was ever the case in America, but definitely in the UK.

Don't forget Smedly Butler! 2- that's right 2 medals of honor.

Airborneguy said:
No, I mean AIRBORNE!!! ;)

US Army 10th Special Forces Group, '98-'01

Just teasing. Or am I? It's ok- the Marines still guard the streets of heaven.

Its so interesting to me how the Marine Corps has been utilized over time. There was a time when the Marine's sole function was in making sure the crew of ships didnt kill their Captain. I dont know if this was ever the case in America, but definitely in the UK.

Hey Creamy,

Here's a link that talks a little about the history of the US Marine Corps.

:mug:

Pappy! That's awesome! I'm not surprised at all that you are a Marine. You don't know how big the smile on my face is right now. :mug:

Thank you Dan. Aug will mark my 25th year as a Marine... can't think of a better way to spend my life than protecting this great Nation!

Semper Fi my Brothers and Sisters!

MGunz

Thank you Dan. Aug will mark my 25th year as a Marine... can't think of a better way to spend my life than protecting this great Nation!

MGunz

Hey Master Guns..

I saw your keezer in your gallery pics. What size chest freezer is that? And how many cornys does it hold?
I like it (well, all but the cowboys tap - Packer fan here) and looking to build one myself.

Semper Fi...

Sgt. Grafto

Hey Master Guns..

I saw your keezer in your gallery pics. What size chest freezer is that? And how many cornys does it hold?
I like it (well, all but the cowboys tap - Packer fan here) and looking to build one myself.

Semper Fi...

Sgt. Grafto

Sorry for the late reply, internet has been down. Keezer is a 5cu Holiday from Lowes. I added a 10" collar and 3 Perlick taps. Wish I had a little bigger but until I get back to the States this is good to go!

Sorry about the Packers LOL Thanks for your service :mug:

MGunz

I apologize it took me so long to reply.

Thank you for the kind words. I truly believe and support the MARINES and all servicemen and women, Marines hold a special place though.

Thank you for you and your family's service and sacrifice to the USA Master Gunnery Sargent!!

With great respect,
Dan (Navy Senior Chief, RET)

Thank you Dan! I got a lot of time w/ you Squids and a have a deep respect for all that you do :mug:

Back