My 10g batch came out perfectly. That's not what this post is about

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan

I’m not wrong. I’m left handwriting
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm an old retired Navy man. I'm always thinking about the men and women who serve the USA but the holidays always get me to thinking about them more. Those who are serving our country stateside and so far away. It got me thinking tonight about all the Shipmates lost during the 26 years I served. I was thinking about this and thought I'd post a little bit of detail on the forum. Hope I posted in the correct category although I'm not drunk.

I thought about all the great Navy and Marine men and women I've known who chose to serve their country and paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Then thought why would I try and explain to people specifics about what happened to them and only mention the Navy and Marine Corps.

Next thought in my head was just to say something like this:

Our Armed Forces of the USA and their family make a huge sacrifice for us. Usually it's just a long deployment but sometimes a loss of life. They all put their lives on the line, maybe not always and everyday, there are some quiet peaceful times as a serviceman/woman but those times are usually short lived. Even if not being shot at these men and women and their family deal with long separations, they miss holidays together, birthdays, parent's night at school, watching their kidsgrow up, the list goes on.

This holiday season, if you have an opportunity please say "Thank You!" to a serviceman/woman for their service to the USA. If they are lucky you'll be able to shake their hand in person. If you can't find one of those protectors of our country, it's probably because they are serving their country far, far, away.

God Bless you men and women who protect us. The USA is thankful for your service. Drink to the Foam my friends.

Worked for the AF for about 4 years, Fitness Center Director, and I can't say thanks enough to those who choose to serve. Did 2 internships with the Navy MWR and all the Navy and Marine personnel were the best part of the job. Knowing that I was doing my part to make them feel better always made me feel good.

Thank you service members:mug:

also spent many long years in the navy thousands of miles away from anybody i knew, so i can relate, dan. great post, and here's wishing they get as many young men and women home before christmas as possible. Prost!!! to them, and to all the others who won't be home by then

Good post... hear, hear!

I would like to throw in a word for those often neglected when thinking of the services; the men and women of the Coast Guard

I had a long talk with a kid today from Kosovo who was helping my neighbor with his car. I spent about a year there over 3 deployments from '99-'01. He said thank you to me for going over there to "save" them from the Serbs. It's really nice when an American says thank you, but I have to admit it was humbling to have someone who was 13 and hiding on a mountain with his family, waiting for us, say thank you.

Airborne! Thank you for sharing that. It's awesome. Thank you for your service to our country. And to all who have posted, sound like most of you guys are vets. Thank you for your sacrifice.

Dan

also spent many long years in the navy thousands of miles away from anybody i knew, so i can relate, dan. great post, and here's wishing they get as many young men and women home before christmas as possible. Prost!!! to them, and to all the others who won't be home by then

Yes! Cheers to them all!

My son is serving our country as a Marine. Luckily I get to see him at Christmas this year and I asked him to bring along his buddies who don't have a place to go. It will be a wonderful Christmas!

Dan, thank you also. You were doing it for me while I was growing up just dreaming about it.

I was surprised at how many fellow veterans are on this site/in the hobby. It's really cool to be amongst brothers and sisters are arms even in such a trivial part of my life.

Great post.

My grandfather passed away last month; he was a WWII merchant marine. My dad and I brewed an IPA together on the day he passed, a small tribue. It's delicous and we tell stories about him each time we drink it. Always thankful for his (and all of your) service.

Merry Christmas to everybody who replied and to all our American heros! May your New Year be filled with family, good health, and happiness!

Dan

Same to you and all my fellow veterans, especially those still serving far away from home. I'll never forget my two Christmas's overseas and the camaraderie I felt with my fellow soldiers.

^^ One of the best Christmas's of my life were spent in an old bombed out Iraqi Hardened Aircraft Shelter with my brothers and sisters

My best memory isn't actually Christmas. On New Years 2000 in Kosovo, I sat on a wall of Hesco barriers with my boss drinking a bottle of champagne from a case that our Cdr snuck onto the base for us. We drank the whole bottle watching the tracers from the Albanian people's celebratory fire flying through the air. Good times.

Back