wrong yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle83

Reaction score
I've got NB Bourbon Barrell Porter fermenting. I was using Windsor yeast and it called for about a pack and a half. I had some Danstar yeast in my fridge which I assumed was Windsor not thinking, but turns out it was Nottingham. I dumped half of it in with the Windsor. Is this going to change the beer much? After looking at the info on Nottingham, looks like it may attenuate more.

Nothing to really worry about. It will attenuate more than the Windsor, but you should still get the Windsor esters. I say should as I'm not sure what happens when two yeast strains are left to duke it out in your wort.

In the end, I'm sure the beer will be good and you'll probably never be able to replicate it. :D

You good. Windsor is more of an "English" style yeast and Nottingham is more of an "all - purpose" yeast. Notty does a great job in Porters IMO.

Thanks for the reassurance. This is my second time doing this beer. It's not the cheapest beer to brew, so I want it to turn out as good as my first batch. Hopefully this doesn't make much difference.

Back