wrong yeast shipped, going for it anyway

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamPag

Reaction score
So its a spicy Irish Red PM. The bill is:

2lbs 2-Row
1lb Flaked Wheat
1lb Crystal 75L
8oz Rye
8oz Munich
2oz Carafa II
7lbs LME
1oz Magnum Bittering
1oz Columbus flavor
2oz Columbus dry hop
Aged on 1oz French oak for 7 days

Recipe anticipates s-04... But the warehouse shipped s-05, Im going for it, but what do you think the difference in flavor is really gonna be? The grain bill and hops and oak is probably gonna take over most of the flavor I imagine. S-05 attenuates and Flocs lower doesnt it? Feed back?

So its a spicy Irish Red PM. The bill is:

2lbs 2-Row
1lb Flaked Wheat
1lb Crystal 75L
8oz Rye
8oz Munich
2oz Carafa II
7lbs LME
1oz Magnum Bittering
1oz Columbus flavor
2oz Columbus dry hop
Aged on 1oz French oak for 7 days

Recipe anticipates s-04... But the warehouse shipped s-05, Im going for it, but what do you think the difference in flavor is really gonna be? The grain bill and hops and oak is probably gonna take over most of the flavor I imagine. S-05 attenuates and Flocs lower doesnt it? Feed back?

I think you mean 12lb of 2row and not 2 lbs. That being said us05 is a cleaner yeast than the 04. just change the name to a American Red ale. it will turn out just fine.

na its a partial mash, just 2lbs of 2 row. If I went AG it would be 12lbs. Im assuming s-05 is gonna have less of the esters that s-04 has, maybe a little less 'breadier' but wheat and rye might just make up for that

I have made Red Ales with both S-04 and 05. 05 generally has fewer esters, but you can pull a few more out at a higher ferment temp (around 73 deg F) if that's what you are looking for. 05 flocs better than 04, yielding better clarity, and I find it attenuates better as well.

Latest posts

Back