Bunch of Random Hops IPA/APA Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaysquared2

Reaction score
So, got a bunch of somewhat random hops lying around begging to be used and no clue what would go best together or even best as a single hop IPA. They are the following:

1oz Millenium, 1oz Columbus, 8oz Bramling Cross, 4oz Cascade, 4oz Centennial, 4oz Zythos, 2oz Citra, and 4 oz Falconers Flight 7Cs.

The grains I have available currently are 10lb 6-row, 2lb 2-row, 1lb Cara 40, and 2lb Flaked Oats. Planning to use S-04 yeast. 3 gallon batch preferred. So for grain bill was thinking: 6lb 6-row, 1lb flaked, and 0.5lb Cara 40.

I've seen a few kit recipes that use Zythos as a single hop IPA and another recipe that uses Millenium at 60 and the rest Falconers (but believe the non-7C variety). Any ideas what here could work? Prefer to keep it at no more then 3 hop varieties (not including only bittering hops). Thanks for any help? Still getting used to recipe building.

One option: you could cobble up a pretty good 3 gallon NEIPA with the Columbus, Cascade and Citra:

.25 oz Columbus @60
.5 oz Cascade and .5 oz Citra @10
.5 oz Cascade and .5 oz Citra 170°F whirlpool/hopstand
.5 oz Cascade and .5 oz Citra "bio-hop" 48 hours after yeast pitch
.5 oz Cascade and .5 oz Citra dry hop four days later.

Let that run another four days then crash and package...

Cheers!

Citra Zythos is a great combo for an IPA.

What about doing something like the above listed recipe, but adding Zythos into the mix? Something like:

0.25 oz Columbus @ 60
0.5 oz each Zythos, Cascade, Citra @ 5
0.5 oz each Zythos, Cascade, Citra 20 min whirlpool @ 170F
0.5 oz each Zythos, Cascade, Citra @ 48-72 hours dry hop
0.5 oz each Zythos, Cascade, Citra @ Near End of Fermentation dry hop

1oz Millenium, 1oz Columbus, 8oz Bramling Cross, 4oz Cascade, 4oz Centennial, 4oz Zythos, 2oz Citra, and 4 oz Falconers Flight 7Cs.

Planning to use S-04 yeast. 3 gallon batch preferred. So for grain bill was thinking: 6lb 6-row, 1lb flaked, and 0.5lb Cara 40.

Bramling X is one of my absolute favourite hops, particularly blended with Goldings, and particularly in brown beers. Since you've no Goldings, I'd probably blend it 2:1 with either Cascade or the Falconers, or do 1:1:1.

What about doing something like the above listed recipe, but adding Zythos into the mix? Something like:

0.25 oz Columbus @ 60
0.5 oz each Zythos, Cascade, Citra @ 5
0.5 oz each Zythos, Cascade, Citra 20 min whirlpool @ 170F
0.5 oz each Zythos, Cascade, Citra @ 48-72 hours dry hop
0.5 oz each Zythos, Cascade, Citra @ Near End of Fermentation dry hop

That would be great.

Agreed - I misinterpreted the guideline and thought 3 strains was the limit.
While I've never used blends like Zythos or F'Flight they were created to supplant the lack of supply of "juicy" strains a handful of years ago when that segment was just launching and apparently still have fans. Either should work as late additions...

Cheers!

So, the 8oz Bramling Cross just arrived and somehow I was also shipped with it a free 8oz pack of Target hops. Any use for these here or save them for something else later on?

Target? Not really I guess, but until last year they were the biggest variety grown in Belgium so they're a good fit for any Belgian styles, and they give a slightly "different" bitterness so they're great in a mix of bittering hops to give some complexity to the bittering in eg a best bitter - for instance Fuller's use Challenger, Target and Northdown.

Back