Writer's block & need ideas for a beer to age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippyclown

Reaction score
Can somebody help me out? I want to brew a beer that I can toss in an unused keg and just age for a while. What should I make? Something other than a great big imperial stout. What are some interesting things you may have done or thought of? Thanks for helping me get the gears moving again.

zc

any BIG beer would be good.

Strong Scotch Ale

Strong Ale - English Old ales plus English or American Barleywine

or Belgian Strong Ale - Dubbel, Tripel, Golden Strong or Dark Strong

not a beer, but my last couple batches have been apple wines and jacked/freeze concentrated. they're taking a while to smooth out

I'd go with a barleywine or a strong Belgian ale of some sort. Or perhaps an insane imperial IPA, 15-20%.

since you have a keg I am guessing you have some place cold to keep it so go for a lager. Do a swarzbier or something like that and lager it in the kegerator for a few months.

A brewing friend made an Old Ale and then Ice distilled it. It got down to 5 degrees one Winter and he let it set out there over night. We chipped a hole in the ice and syphoned out some amazing liquid. He kegged it and let it set for over a year. After that we would just sample it once in a while, just to make sure it was still good you know!:D

Back