Wringing the last bit out of Saflager W-34/70? (First lager)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anderov

Reaction score
tl:dr - FG is .006 off, don't have any experience with coaxing lager yeasts.

I brewed a doppelbock based on osagedr's Evil Goat, pitched Saflager W-34/70, let it hang out in my uninsulated attic for a couple months through the DC winter. My OG was a bit higher (1.090 vs 1.085) but otherwise everything went as planned.

It seems to have stopped at 1.030 (vs 1.024 in the recipe). I pulled it down from the attic when it started getting real cold, so it's been hanging out at ~60-65 for the last 3 weeks with no change. I don't have any prior experience with this yeast - is it worth fooling with to try to finish that last ~0.006, or should I call it a day? If it is worth fooling with, what's SOP? It seems like too little to be worth re-pitching, but I don't really know what it wants.

Cheers!

She's done. 1.030 is not bad given your OG. Enjoy and move on. I just did a Weizenbock with 1.082 OG using Wyeast 3068 and it stopped at 1.030. It's delicious!

Good luck. That recipe has won a lot of medals and a couple best-of-shows. The secret is lots of Munich; most folks for some reason want it to be mostly pilsner malt. I have to brew it again myself soon - this time I'm thinking 2308 although 2633 would prolly be good too. I've never used White Labs but the Zurich Lager could be very good. I think my most successful version used S-189, the equivalent dry strain from Fermentis.

Drinking my Weizenbock right now; really nice beer!

Back