Wretched Heinekin Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdxhophead

Reaction score
So I have been going around to bars to collect bottles and I was given a whole case of Heinekin bottles. Sounds great right?. . . . That is until you try to get the labels off them. I tried bleach, dish detergent, vinegar, and rubbing alcohol, which did the trick if I peeled off the sticker first and scrubbed it with a green scrubber pad, but who wants to sit around scrubbing each bottle, not to mention wasting all that alcohol. Anyone have any tips?

Oxiclean works really well. Warm-hot water and oxiclean overnight. The label will float to the top.

Also get a razor blade, the type you use to scrap off your registration sticker. Ive found it helps get labels off that a sponge or a stainless steel scrubber and OxiClean cant handle.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
Oxiclean works really well. Warm-hot water and oxiclean overnight. The label will float to the top.

Does it work for the clear plastic labels too, that's what Heinekin is using now. . . apparently. The paper gum back labels are a cinch to get off but these plastic ones are frustrating.

Couldn't tell you off hand defiantly worth a try though. Labels arent going to magically remove themselves you have to scrub some no matter what.

I had good luck steaming the plastic labels off. I used my teapot and just held the bottle with the label in the steam coming out of the spout. It's still kind of a bugger to get the edge of the label started, but they lift right off with steam heat.

I don't use the Heinie bottles for beer. I only use them for Apfelwein and I like them for that. Apfelwein doesn't have the issues with sunlight that beer does.

+1 for the razor...if the Oxyclean and a green scuffeasy from the Local Auto Parts Store doesnt' work. Scuffeasys' are like the green side of your dish sponge...without the sponge.

A paint stripping brush is really good for labels that soften,
but don't fall off (eg Warsteiner).
I've also used a plastic ice scraper.
Soapy hands and razor-sharp tools are not a good mix.
DAMHIKT

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
Couldn't tell you off hand defiantly worth a try though. Labels arent going to magically remove themselves you have to scrub some no matter what.

I don't mind a little scrubbing but the amount needed to get the adhesive off of these is nuts. I did the razor method too and it's the adhesive that they use that's the problem. I read in another thread that starsan might work, someone mentioned it will even take of painted labels, so I'm gonna grab some tomorrow when my LHBS opens. It seems logical since it's an acid based sanitizer. We'll see.

ma2brew said:
I don't use the Heinie bottles for beer. I only use them for Apfelwein and I like them for that. Apfelwein doesn't have the issues with sunlight that beer does.

That's exactly what I'm planning to use these for. . . .if I can ever get the damn labels off:D

pdxhophead said:
I don't mind a little scrubbing but the amount needed to get the adhesive off of these is nuts...
To get the residual adhesive off the bottles I use a little Goof-Off™, but Zippo™ or Rosonol™ lighter fuels are basically the same thing, Naptha. Put some on an old rag and wipe off the label residue with that. Run the bottles through the dishwasher and you're all set.

Back