Would you want an 800L fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MangoMead

Reaction score
I was poking around at the home store today and was looking at the stainless steel drinking water tanks that are pretty much everywhere over here. They are pretty cheap too. The 800L was the smallest they had in stock but it was only about $200 usd. They make them down to the 100L size but I'd have to order it and they did not know the price. The 1600L was only about $300.

They seal up tight, have a nice wide access port in the top and a hemispherical bottom with places for fittings in pretty much all the right places already.

Would you build a fermenter out of one of these?

Steel water tanks.JPG

Even the 100L tank is huge for homebrewing...that's 26 gallons of beer !! I'm sure there are a few people here that brew huge batches like these though...

If you were to go big, it sounds perfect. Other than maybe temp control. Maybe a glycol coil?

I know lots of people use 1/2 bbl kegs and that 15 gallons, so yes a 100L for 20 gallon batches sounds about correct. But I have no Idea, I've never tried it?

They can be found at pretty much any homestore here in Thailand, even small mom and pop places can order them. Most houses have them even if they are on municipal water. The municipal water pressure, not to mention the supply, is notoriously unreliable so many folks install a big tank that is constantly topped off by the municipal water. This makes for regular pressure in the house and continued supply when service is down.

Interested in getting a shipping quote to USA or Canada? I'm sure you could make a few bucks exporting these.

Probably do better buying cheap conical fermenters from China and having them shipped over to the states, tons of them on alibaba.

Or if I was in the US I'd maybe look at sources of stainless water tanks nearby.

But, if anyone is serious about wanting one shoot me a PM and I can dig into it a little but I think it would be a bigger PITA than it would be worth.

Back