Would you use man made yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have to try it at least once.

The first uses will always be for prescription drugs and bio-fuels (just a bit more important than making beer) once they figure out how to make it do what they want.

Nothing is more important than making beer :mug:

^Nice!

If it made beer that tasted good and didn't kill you or anything then I don't see any problem. In a sense all modern beer yeast is manmade by years of selective breeding.

I would.

We've been genetically engineering our food for a very, very long time through the process of selective breeding.

This is just a new and perhaps more efficient method.

the yeast is going to mutate spread into the wild and cause the zombie apocalypse! (world war Y)

Sorry, I'm not one of those people who views man made as equaling horrifying poison. People can grouse about GMO crops, pesticides, fertilizers, etc all they want, but the fact is, our civilization as it stands exists because of the extra production possible due to farming science improvements. You simply cannot produce nearly as much food via organic methods, end of discussion.

Would I feel a need to be one of the first to brew with manmade yeast? Nope. I don't get to brew enough as is, so I would wait until the practice was established and the flavor profiles had been dialed in a bit. Now, assuming that consumer feedback was that the yeast made as good (or better) beer, and the price point was reasonable, I would happily brew with it.

Sorry, I'm not one of those people who views man made as equaling horrifying poison. People can grouse about GMO crops, pesticides, fertilizers, etc all they want, but the fact is, our civilization as it stands exists because of the extra production possible due to farming science improvements. You simply cannot produce nearly as much food via organic methods, end of discussion.

Would I feel a need to be one of the first to brew with manmade yeast? Nope. I don't get to brew enough as is, so I would wait until the practice was established and the flavor profiles had been dialed in a bit. Now, assuming that consumer feedback was that the yeast made as good (or better) beer, and the price point was reasonable, I would happily brew with it.

AND BEER DUDE Come on Beer had a lot to do with it to:ban:

Mozart said:
I would.

We've been genetically engineering our food for a very, very long time through the process of selective breeding.

This is just a new and perhaps more efficient method.

Selective breeding and genetically engineering are not even close to the same thing.

EDIT: With all due respect.

Selective breeding and genetically engineering are not even close to the same thing.

That's true; selective breeding has a much greater risk of producing something poisonous, since so much of the gene transfer is uncontrolled.

Selective breeding = giant mutant yeast
Genetic breeding = the eventual yeast apocalypse (WWY)
:mug:

You only live once....at least as far as I remember...so sure, I'd give it a shot. ;)

Ehh, what's the worst that could happen? I might turn into a beer craving zombie. Kinda feel like that after a 16 hour shift anyway.

I kind of have a feeling this would largely be used by the giants to make even more flavorless beer.

BTW If you recall the "Dry Beer" abominations of the 80's, they were made with a genetically modified yeast.

I would imagine that a yeast strain incapable of producing fusels would be incredibly useful for new homebrewers in warmer areas.

Back