Would You Re-Pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrummerBoySeth

Reaction score
I am aware that some people like to re-pitch fresh yeast at bottling time, and I even understand why they do it. My question refers more to the specifics of when brewers like to repitch yeast for bottling.

I have a 9.5% ABV Imperial Stout that has been in the fermenter almost a month. I am considering adding fresh yeast with my priming sugar when I bottle, due to the high alcohol content and semi-long fermentation time. I realize yeast is cheap, and I will probably re-pitch just to be safe, especially since I cannot think of any reason not to.

What I really want to know is how many of you would also re-pitch in this scenario, and how many of you would just add priming sugar and go...

After a month, there's definitely no need to repitch, even with a high gravity beers. Even if it has appeared to have cleared (though, I'm not sure how you could tell in a big RIS), there is still a TON of yeast in suspension after a month. I'd say my limit would be about 6 months of bulk aging with a high gravity beer before repitching. If you're still concerned, you can do what Revvy does and drag your racking cane along the bottom of the fermenter to pick up some flocced out yeast when racking to your bottling bucket, but I don't think even that is necessary.

I was thinking of sucking up some of the yeast at the bottom of the carboy when I racked to the bottling bucket. Seems like that would work well enough...

I was thinking of sucking up some of the yeast at the bottom of the carboy when I racked to the bottling bucket. Seems like that would work well enough...

It certainly won't hurt anything apart from extra sediment in your bottles, and may be worth it if it'll ease your mind. You won't need much. The standard for bottling after long secondaries is only 5g in 5 gallons. Definitely don't waste brand new yeast though.

My rule of thumb is after 90 days I add new. There is no real science to my method, only problems in the past when I went that long without new yeast.

My rule of thumb is after 90 days I add new. There is no real science to my method, only problems in the past when I went that long without new yeast.

Good to know. I think I will bottle today, without adding any yeast. Still need to stop by the LHBS and get some star-san before I can bottle, though!

Back