Would this be Tasty or Nasty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatelliteGuy

Reaction score
As you can see, the difference between Tasty and Nasty can be as small as a single letter. :D

I'm trying to create a recipe, for an Amber Ale, which will probably be my second batch. I'm just looking for opinions, and possible tweaks.
It's an extract + grains batch.

Experimental Amber Ale said:
4.4 lbs Light DME

1 lb American Crystal 60L
1 lb Flaked Oats
0.25 lbs American Chocolate

0.5 oz Galena (60)
1 oz Kent Goldings (15)
1 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker (0)

1 packet Coopers yeast

First off, would 1 lb of flaked oats be too much?
Second, does the American Chocolate belong, or am I just asking for trouble?
And lastly, I picked hops, based solely on their descriptions in How To Brew. how do you think these will work?

Also, I used The Recipator to work out the recipe. It'd be a 2.5Gal boil, 5Gal final.

I don't know man. Flaked oats in an amber ale and Cooper's Dry Yeast?

Definitely experimental. But who knows, maybe it'll be a hit.:mug:

Won't oats add haze? I thought that's why they are mostly used in dark beers... mind you the chocolate malt will definatly darken it some.

Usually toasted malt would be used instead of choc as its more red. It could well be tasty but I think you are deviating from the "style" of amber ale?? ... if that doesn't bother you give it a whirl and I'd be curious to hear how it turns out.

What you've got is more of a Brown than a Red, but it should taste fine. It's will be darker and have far more body than is usual for a red.

Kind of like a Pale Oatmeal Porter? :D

With a malt profile like this, what would you do for hops, for the most pleasing beer?
What other mods would you make to this beer?

I'd ditch the Oats outright and replace the Chocolate Malt with Special B. Then I'd swap the Munton's yeast for US-05 or Notty.

Also with that hop schedule your IBU's will be fairly low. I'd bump the Galena up to a full ounce and be sure to use the "late addition" method for your DME.

As is it's not truly an Amber Ale, more like brown or weak stout.

I just looked up the recipe from the Amber Ale kit at Midwest, first brew I ever did and it was quite tasty:

6 lb. Gold LME
2 oz. Special B
8 oz. Crystal 80L
2 oz. Roasted Barley specialty grains
1 oz. Hallertau (60)
1 oz. Fuggle pellet hops (5)
US-05 yeast

SG: 1.042-1.046
FG: 1.010-1.012

The batch went fast though if I brewed it again I'd add more hops. It was a little overly malty.

Back